Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 11:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go
RE: The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go
(July 16, 2017 at 8:58 pm)Rhondazvous Wrote: Scientist detest the idea of calling the higgs boson the “god particle.”

God and this boson seem to be similar on the surface. Scientists proclaimed the existence of this boson long before they had any direct proof. Also, the Standard model requires that particles be massless. The higgs boson does not have this requirement.

So it seems valid to call the higgs boson the god particle. But there’s one important difference.

While the observable universe required that the higgs boson exist and scientist spent decades searching for it, I feel no compulsion to look for the god of the bible who created the grass and the trees before he created the sun and the moon.

The higgs boson doesn’t give other particles mass, since mass cannot be created. When the higgs boson touches another particle, the interaction cause that particle to have mass.  A better understanding will have to come from someone else, not me.

But I do understand that, unlike god,  the higgs boson is not burdened by a long list of reasons why it can’t exist.

Note to moderators: You may feel this thread belongs in the physical science section. I put it here because it seems to belong in both, so it was a toss up.

Scientists never refer to the Higgs as the 'god particle'.

The term actually refers back to a book Nobel physicist Leon Lederman wrote back in the 90's. Lederman originally called "The Goddamn Particle" because it was so hard to find, not because it had anything to do with a god. His publishers would not let him use that title, so they shortened it to "The God Particle". The name stuck. And now we have to debate ignorant theists because of it.

The Higgs Boson has ZERO to do with any god. There are no similarities. There is no reason, at all, to post anything comparing them.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Difference Between the Higgs Boson and Go - by Simon Moon - July 18, 2017 at 8:22 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Difference between Atheists and Churchoids! theMadJW 41 3741 May 5, 2020 at 9:06 am
Last Post: AniKoferBo
Smile Interesting correlation between God and light in major world religions... Ajay0 17 1943 May 24, 2019 at 4:10 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  The Possible Connection Between Egyptian Religion And FSM BrianSoddingBoru4 6 1189 December 10, 2017 at 11:42 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Debate between me, myself and I! Mystic 22 5461 January 4, 2016 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  The difference between a chocolate rabbit and a human? ReptilianPeon 7 3900 August 22, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  No conflict between faith and science, eh? The Reality Salesman01 37 10465 May 22, 2015 at 12:14 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  The connection between Catholic priests and Muhammadan pedo gangs? ReptilianPeon 18 6631 May 17, 2015 at 12:10 pm
  Bridging the Divide Between Science and Religion Mudhammam 3 1864 November 11, 2014 at 1:59 am
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Whats the difference between a cult and a religion? Zidneya 74 22463 May 24, 2014 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  Is there really much difference? Polaris 5 1847 July 3, 2013 at 2:14 am