Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 5:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for
'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for
[Image: 2831070-3x2-340x227.jpg]
Photo: I'm concerned that 'no religion' - indeed, atheism itself - means something very different to the AFA than it does to me.

By ABC's Michael Collett

Updated August 10, 2011

When I attempt the fraught task of putting self to paper this census, I'll be muttering an aimless prayer before reluctantly crossing 'no religion'.

But please, don't read too much into it. It tells you what I'm not and nothing more.

Nevertheless, I fear my X may be hijacked for irreligious - that is, anti-religious - purposes.

This I speculate because the 'no religion' response has found its champion in the Atheist Foundation of Australia.

We heretics are urged to own our disbelief; to resist the hilarity of professing Jedi or Pastafarianism - or my favourite jest religion, metal music - and forsake the ritual of deferring to the faith of our parents.

This in itself is, of course, admirable. The decline of religion - or otherwise - should be properly documented. What's the point of a census if it's not answered honestly?

And so I'll do my part.
"In life you can never be too kind or too fair; everyone you meet is carrying a heavy load. When you go through your day expressing kindness and courtesy to all you meet, you leave behind a feeling of warmth and good cheer, and you help alleviate the burdens everyone is struggling with."
Brian Tracy

Messages In This Thread
'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for - by Judas BentHer - August 10, 2011 at 8:10 pm
RE: 'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for - by Skeptic - August 11, 2011 at 2:54 pm
RE: 'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for - by padraic - August 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm
RE: 'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for - by padraic - August 13, 2011 at 1:44 am
RE: 'No religion' belongs to the unspoken for - by Jaysyn - August 16, 2011 at 1:57 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4574 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Is no Religion a Religion. Artur Axmann 76 16873 June 14, 2014 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: Muslim Atheism