Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 10:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Have "likes" and "kudos" polarized our society?
RE: Have "likes" and "kudos" polarized our society?
(January 2, 2018 at 2:12 pm)wallym Wrote: What's interesting about this forum environment, is that there isn't really any practical purpose to want to collect kudos/rep.  There isn't a chance to go viral.  And with such a small community, it's not like someone is going to become famous in any way because they got 10 kudos on a post, or hit 50 rep.  Everybody is a pretty known commodity.

In this specific situation, I think maybe the kudos/rep is a loose reflection of the responses one's posts receives, which is where the echo chamber effect takes place.  So a kudos is a substitute for "I agree with Kevin" rather than posting "I agree with Kevin."  So it serves as shorthand more than anything?  But what it's shorthand for is the stuff about positive feedback.

All I know is that more people should agree with me on things. Big Grin

But, yeah, there are a few different things going on, even in the context of this thread. The first is the nature of social media. The second is the gamification of it (being tangibly rewarded for expressing certain opinions). The third is the ubiquity of it, and of mobile devices in general.

I don't think that the gamification aspect - kudos, likes, etc. - is the root of the problem. It's really just an add-on to an existing thing. Social media, itself, however, is rife with problems. In a weird way, it highlights the pitfalls of the so-called free marketplace of ideas. Turns out most people are some combination of gullible, ignorant, and/or lazy, and it's really easy to shape opinions with targeted misinformation campaigns that latch onto binary thinking, cultural/religious/race/gender/political bias, and snarky quips.

The echo chamber effect is magnified because it's really easy to simply escape into these digital safe spaces (irony intended) where one's opinions are simply defended and reinforced by the herd a person feels comfortable in. We see it on a smaller, more focused scale with all those religious forums that ban atheists for simply being, but it definitely happens on a larger, more personal scale when the user has the power to curate what they see and who they interact with. We're at the point where we can effectively silence the dissent in our personal lives with the click of a button. And that, I think, is what's at the root of our social dysfunction. We're no longer forced to get along with each other during the course of our lives.

And that's not getting into the aspects of harassment, doxxing, abuse, etc.

All I know is that it's really easy to tell people to get off their devices and experience the real world once in a while, but that kind of demand isn't really helpful. There's a reason why we escape into our little corners, and until the real world can be a better alternative, there's no impetus for change.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Have "likes" and "kudos" polarized our society? - by KevinM1 - January 2, 2018 at 3:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What (in your society) is a 'real man'? FrustratedFool 87 4647 October 27, 2023 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: energizer bunny
  How many pages of "Kudos" do you have? Foxaèr 31 1565 December 17, 2020 at 9:17 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  Are we becoming a masked society? Foxaèr 21 918 June 24, 2020 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Let's play a kudos game called "the creationist 15" ErGingerbreadMandude 5 919 October 12, 2017 at 6:33 am
Last Post: chimp3
  How Social Media Is Dumbing Down Our Society Foxaèr 5 2259 July 17, 2017 at 10:31 am
Last Post: Aroura
  How do we as a society combat ignorance? NuclearEnergy 14 3601 June 13, 2017 at 9:28 pm
Last Post: Seraphina
  If you could enact laws into action to change society Foxaèr 58 15532 May 29, 2017 at 6:05 am
Last Post: Sal
  Have our lizard people overlords gotten lazy, or arrogant? CapnAwesome 5 1347 March 19, 2017 at 1:19 pm
Last Post: downbeatplumb
  Kudos Excited Penguin 81 6411 July 17, 2016 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: account_inactive
  The Official Kudos Page Count Foxaèr 137 12553 April 21, 2016 at 10:07 am
Last Post: vorlon13