Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 11:26 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
Quote:2) Atheists often presume  "belief in scientism, the logically incoherent claim that 'only scientific knowledge is valid/real/genuine knowledge'"

Point #2 is utter horseshit, pure and simple.  While some atheists are also supporters of scientism, this is obviously not the case with the majority of atheists.

While the author is correct that scientism is logically incoherent (I might quibble with her definition, but that's beyond the scope of this reply), there is nothing intellectually dishonest in an atheist using scientific methodology to refute some religious claims (the Flood, the resurrection, the Exodus, etc), because these are claims amenable to scientific investigation.  If theists are going to cite these claims  as potentially veridical events, it isn't just permissible but is incumbent upon atheists to test them with scientific rigor.  But the author seems to want NO testing of ANY claim made by ANY religionists.  That's true intellectual dishonesty, that is.

I agree, though, that not all religious claims are subject to scientific investigation.  One we often hear is 'God is love'.  This may or may not be a nonsensical statement (though I strongly suspect that it is), but I don't know how I'd begin to devise an experiment to test it.

I'm perfectly happy accepting things that I cannot prove scientifically (life on other planets, my wife loves me, bacon crumbles improve apple pie), but so what?  But when Ms Kenienan makes a claim for God that is at least potentially falsifiable, she ought not get her knickers in a twist when people attempt to falsify it.  And she certainly had no business labeling all scientific investigations of religious claims as 'scientism'.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - March 7, 2018 at 8:00 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1026 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3051 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 43237 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2224 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3002 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 6069 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10957 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2278 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Ontological Arguments - A Comprehensive Refutation MindForgedManacle 23 5679 March 20, 2014 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause? MindForgedManacle 3 1136 November 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Zazzy