Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 10:40 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
Quote:or me personally, I could identify with, and understand a number of the issues that this lady talks about.  I may have some disputes with the way in which the ideas are presented at times, but generally I agree with the message.  For one, I don't think that every instance or even a majority are necessarily intellectually dishonest.  I think it is more charitable if I'm making an assumption to think they are just stupid (the village atheists), rather than intellectually dishonest.  As well, they may not be intellectual at all, and are just provoking.  This could be intellectually dishonest, if they know better, but often I find myself questioning, if some really have given much thought or effort into understanding what they are criticizing.

In the article:  for subpoint 1, I believe that the citation of J.J.C. Smart is prior to the other discussion (even though you addressed this last).  With this, I believe that the rest of this section should be seen in light of this quotation (at least that is how I read it).  I would agree, that a 3-4 year old, likely isn't going to have a strong grasp or knowledge of the differences between the gods of polytheism and as Smart said a more sophisticated view in monotheism.  As such, I read it as hyperbole rather than with a strict literalism.  The point being, that it isn't that difficult to understand that there is some key differences in the behavior and roles of these mortal gods.   To finish the quote by JJC Smart -  "They were essentially finite beings, and the god of one tribe or collection of tribes was regarded as good in that it enabled victory in war against tribes with less powerful gods. Similarly the Greek and Roman gods were more like mythical heroes and heroines than like the omnipotent, omniscient and good God postulated in mediaeval and modern philosophy."

Given this, I don't think the quibble about capitalization is about the capitalization itself, but in acknowledging why and what the distinction that is being made by it's capitalization.  Again, this goes back to the citation given at the beginning of the argument.

Now it could be, that the "atheist" in question has not been made aware some particular distinction.  However especially for those who hang around on the internet, and have interacted with those who make a more sophisticated argument I think it can approach the level of intellectual dishonesty.  If I still start out arguing against evolution with "from the goo to the zoo" or "it's just a theory" when I know better, then I think that is intellectually dishonest.   Now you combine this with a number of other mis-representations found in section one, and I think a case can certainly be made. You have either earned the description of being intellectually dishonest or being stupid.

Similarly, if you would like to make a point about politics, I think that starting out your idea by calling your interlocutors conservtards or libtards  drastically takes away from any intelligence that may be contained there after.
Long winded whining and table thumping .
Seek strength, not to be greater than my brother, but to fight my greatest enemy -- myself.

Inuit Proverb

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? - by Amarok - March 9, 2018 at 9:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1016 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3010 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 43113 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2208 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2982 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 6047 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10916 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2277 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Ontological Arguments - A Comprehensive Refutation MindForgedManacle 23 5663 March 20, 2014 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause? MindForgedManacle 3 1136 November 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Zazzy