Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 4:12 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments?
(March 10, 2018 at 12:59 pm)Hammy Wrote:
(March 9, 2018 at 2:04 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote: None, of that matters.  If you are making a claim, then you have a share in the burden of proof for what you are claiming.

Nope, it doesn't work like that. It's the least parmonious premise that the onus is on.

If I claim that the universe isn't an illusion and we're not in a computer simulation. The burden of proof is not on me. If you claim the universe is an illusion, it's on you.

If you claim to have an imaginary friend who created everything and controls everything.... then the burden of proof is on you. If I claim that such a thing is improbable then that stands to reason to be correct by default until you provide evidence to the contrary. Why? Because of the principle of parsimony. It's the same reason that if you claimed Elvis was still alive and I said "No he isn't" the burden of proof wouldn't be on me but it would be on you. Because you're making a ridiculously unparsimonious suggestion.

Quote:    You don't get a free pass, as long as you feel that your claims do not surpass the opposition.   It doesn't work that way.  

It's clearly you who doesn't understand how it works.

Quote:Many of you guys, for being so quick to bring up the B.O.P. for others, work really hard to get out of it yourselves.  It appears that there are a bunch of pseudo-skeptics!

Nah, you're just dumb and don't understand the burden of proof.

LOL.  I’m loving the audio accompaniment, Hamz.  British accents are super awesome.  😎
Nay_Sayer: “Nothing is impossible if you dream big enough, or in this case, nothing is impossible if you use a barrel of KY Jelly and a miniature horse.”

Wiser words were never spoken. 

Messages In This Thread
RE: Are Atheists using Intellectually Dishonest Arguments? - by LadyForCamus - March 10, 2018 at 1:11 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good Arguments (Certainty vs. Probability) JAG 12 1016 October 8, 2020 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Best arguments for or against God's existence mcc1789 22 3008 May 22, 2019 at 9:16 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Arguments for God's Existence from Contingency datc 386 43112 December 1, 2017 at 2:07 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Valid Arguments for God (soundness disputed) Mystic 17 2207 March 25, 2017 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 2982 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Hume weakened analogical arguments for God. Pizza 18 6047 March 25, 2015 at 6:13 pm
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Gaps in theistic arguments. Secular theism vs religious theism Pizza 59 10911 February 27, 2015 at 12:33 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Using the arguments against actual infinites against theists Freedom of thought 4 2277 May 14, 2014 at 12:58 am
Last Post: Freedom of thought
  Ontological Arguments - A Comprehensive Refutation MindForgedManacle 23 5662 March 20, 2014 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Rabb Allah
  What Arguments from Opposing Worldviews Give You Pause? MindForgedManacle 3 1136 November 15, 2013 at 11:15 pm
Last Post: Zazzy