Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 6:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
I'm afraid to upset the balance of this thread, since there are two main participants. But anyway, this is my kind of discussion, so forgive me for wading in.

Does consciousness improve evolutionary fitness? It depends on what you mean by "consciousness." If you mean that a system is capable of responding to the environment, then obviously, yes. If you mean that the system is capable of experiencing qualia, then yes IF qualia represents information beyond anything which could be represented physically, or no IF qualia is a mirroring of state.

We can take a speculative look at all the things the body does in arriving at a behavior, and ask-- do ANY of these require us to experience them?
-Trigger neurons in response to physical stimulus. No.
-Cascade a huge number of neurons due to dendrite-cell mappings, release of neurotransmitters, etc? No.
-Affect the likelihood of behaviors based on hormones. No.

It should be immediately obvious that we can go through the whole list of electro-chemical and mechanical processes going on in the body, and determine that none of them require subjective experience.

Nor can simply conflating subjective experience to brain function solve this problem. Can we study the brain directly? Yes. Brain systems? Yes. Neurons? Yes. Specific neural firing patterns? Yes (at least in theory). Obviously, none of these things can be called qualia-- because if we can interact with A directly, and not B, then A is not B.

I'd also say that the use of evolution to justify a view on consciousness is malformed. I could say the existence of a man-loving God would benefit our evolutionary fitness. Then I could, without any justification, conflate any physical properties I observed as correlates of the presence of God. Sun comes up? God! Spooky feeling in church when I'm half asleep from a long sermon? God!

Unless you can show that there's something intrinsically different about a qualia-experiencing system and a non-qualia-experiencing system which can affect behavior, then you are talking about magic, not material.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential - by bennyboy - April 22, 2018 at 8:25 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 6772 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1596 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3790 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2275 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1733 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1160 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13978 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1614 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2763 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7534 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet