Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 3:14 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential
(April 27, 2018 at 10:58 pm)Hammy Wrote: So this is an admission that you were wrong then? Philosophical zombies could do all the things you previously said required consciousness.
I've repeatedly told you that I don't think consciousness is a requirement for a wide range of things.  The fact remains, however, that it is sufficient for at least some things. Evolution is a process of sufficiency, not necessity. It makes precisely zero sense to approach any selective advantage in this way, or to dismiss them on those grounds.

Quote:Um... the entire point of the philosophical zombie argument that you are supposed to be addressing is a matter of that. The point is that there isn't necessarily any reason why consciousness had to evolve along with brains per se... as all behaviors could be achieved without consciousness. You keep failing to demonstrate the undemonstratable and continuing to claim that consciousness has a function without any actual or argument that supports otherwise (not surprised, such a thing isn't possible). Is this the part where you say "But in this case consciousness does perform that function" and simply miss the point and completely beg the question again?
The evolutionary benefit of consciousness in AST is p-zombie neutral.  It doesn't matter...to AST, whether you are a p-zombie or a real boy™.  It posits that consciousness as reported -or- consciousness as reporting are both functionally useful as control models.  It's important to note that it's not a cognitive theory of consciousness, either.  It doesn't posit that the model is in control. Can you see how that bypasses every objection you have personally expressed to the notion of consciousness conferring a selective advantage?

Those things aren't issues for AST any more than necessity is an issue for selective advantage.

(April 28, 2018 at 10:03 am)LadyForCamus Wrote: Maybe this is more an argument for the utility of empathy than it is an argument for the utility of consciousness, but I would say that the utility of empathy is contingent upon the existence of consciousness.  

It may not be contingent, we don't know....what we can demonstrate, though, is that attention is less well-controlled in the absence of awareness. In a nutshell, that's what makes AST an evolutionary theory of consciousness.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential - by The Grand Nudger - April 28, 2018 at 11:25 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How worthless is Philosophy? vulcanlogician 127 6766 May 20, 2024 at 12:19 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Philosophy Recommendations Harry Haller 21 1592 January 5, 2024 at 10:58 am
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  The Philosophy Of Stupidity. disobey 51 3789 July 27, 2023 at 3:02 am
Last Post: Carl Hickey
  Does the fact that many non-human animals have pituitary disprove Cartesian Dualism? FlatAssembler 36 2275 June 23, 2023 at 9:36 pm
  Hippie philosophy Fake Messiah 19 1733 January 21, 2023 at 1:56 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1159 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] Generally speaking, is philosophy a worthwhile subject of study? Disagreeable 238 13974 May 21, 2022 at 10:38 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  Metaethics Part 1: Cognitivism/Non-cognitivism Disagreeable 24 1614 February 11, 2022 at 6:46 pm
  My philosophy about Religion SuicideCommando01 18 2763 April 5, 2020 at 9:52 pm
Last Post: SuicideCommando01
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7531 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet