Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 11:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread
RE: Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread
(May 8, 2018 at 2:26 am)Mathilda Wrote:
(May 7, 2018 at 6:20 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: And my point was that plenty of atheists also think we need fixing. Just as one example, few months ago, Mathilda made a whole thread full of unflattering generalizations about how theists are immature and not properly raised.

(May 7, 2018 at 6:20 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: The point of my post in defense of Neo was to say that plenty of people here are guilty of doing exactly what he did. So I think there's a bit of a double standard when Neo gets dragged through the mud for doing the same thing that plenty of people here have done.

I explained already that I had originally held back from writing that thread but after having been offended by theists I decided not to hold back. I can say now that it was predominantly because of some of Neo's threads.

But I shall emphasise the point that I am trying to make because you seem to keep ignoring it.

It is that the theists seem to not understand how they are offending others and therefore see themselves as the only ones who are being hurt when the backlash comes.

That's not to say that what atheists are saying wouldn't be offensive as well. You make valid points about how some of the things said such as religion as a mental illness is offensive. That doesn't mean to say that they aren't necessarily valid arguments though. But I would like to point out one other small thing. This is a fucking atheist forum. This is where atheists come to talk about being an atheist, most often because they have to live lives surrounded by theists offensively trying to save them again after the struggle of breaking free from religion. And some people have been quite abused by religion. Many atheists have to pretend to be a theist and can't even live their own lives. Being a theist you don't have that problem. So don't come here expecting the kind of privilege that you have in your society to be given to you here as well in what for many is an atheist refuge.

Otherwise it's like being a white straight man offended at being told that it's inappropriate to try sleeping with as many women as possible in a woman's refuge.

Wow, big letters. The fact that you say demeaning, nasty generalizations about theists (like that entire thread you made) and then drag Neo through the mud when he generalizes shows that you are completely oblivious and lack self awareness yourself.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread - by Catholic_Lady - May 8, 2018 at 7:53 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19567 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8741 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up VOTE HERE: Final four questions for the Christian Debate vulcanlogician 43 4613 May 18, 2018 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Open challenge regarding the supernatural robvalue 38 6287 May 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  "Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion. Pizza 66 15446 February 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. Esquilax 169 31531 November 16, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Discussion w/ a Theist RE: Premarital Sex StealthySkeptic 110 20164 August 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  So, why are we here .. on this forum? Whateverist 69 21335 June 5, 2013 at 10:25 am
Last Post: dazzn
  Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery. Kirbmarc 36 14584 December 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Open Debate Challenge: Historical Jesus DeistPaladin 0 1688 May 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin