Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 4:34 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members
RE: Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members
(May 24, 2018 at 6:08 pm)Mathilda Wrote:
(May 24, 2018 at 2:07 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: I think you need to learn the difference between the ability to solve problems vs the ability to reason.

Young children have the ability to problem solve, yet we don't hold them responsible for their actions, why?

OK do tell me what the difference is between being able to solve problems vs the ability to reason.
And while you're at it, tell me how you solve problems without an ability to reason.

Are you telling me that you don't know the difference between reasoning and problem solving?

If problem solving is arriving at a solution to said problem, then reason is understanding the methods utilized to arrive at the solution.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Problem_solving
Quote:Problem solving consists of using generic or ad hoc methods, in an orderly manner, to find solutions to problems. Some of the problem-solving techniques developed and used in artificial intelligence, computer science, engineering, mathematics, or medicine are related to mental problem-solving techniques studied in psychology.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reason
Quote:Reason is the capacity for consciously making sense of things, establishing and verifying facts, applying logic, and changing or justifying practices, institutions, and beliefs based on new or existing information. It is closely associated with such characteristically human activities as philosophy, science, language, mathematics, and art and is normally considered to be a distinguishing ability possessed by humans. Reason, or an aspect of it, is sometimes referred to as rationality.
*emphasis mine*
See, there IS a difference...

(May 24, 2018 at 6:08 pm)Mathilda Wrote: And yes, we do hold children responsible for their actions. Just not as much as adults. But that's because children are still developing, along with their ability to reason and solve problems.

Do you allow children to enter into contractual agreements where you're from?

(May 24, 2018 at 6:08 pm)Mathilda Wrote:
(May 24, 2018 at 2:07 pm)Huggy74 Wrote: Self-taught, ‘superhuman’ AI now even smarter, says creators

My question to you is, do you belive a computer posses the ability to reason?

Without getting into issues of defining exactly what is meant by an ability to reason, which is actually a layman term that allows someone like you to equivocate. Yes computers can be programmed to reason and have done for many decades now. But certainly not as well as an animal. And that includes AlphaGo Zero.

I'm not even going to bother trying to explain why to you.

According to the definition of reason I posted, you're wrong.

Not to mention the computer wasn't programed to play the game, the article clearly states it taught itself, and the fact that it taught itself and can wipe the floor with masters of the game, means that the computer has better reasoning capabilities than humans... according to your definition. Dodgy

Messages In This Thread
RE: Group prayer on Skype on behalf of our Christian members - by Huggy Bear - May 24, 2018 at 6:33 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Please help prayer to get maaried soon for my mom heath.! meboxem166 21 2906 April 1, 2023 at 5:52 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Twelve religious group members arrested over Australian girl's death zebo-the-fat 2 720 July 6, 2022 at 2:40 am
Last Post: Brian37
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90923 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  Invitation for Atheists to Debate a Christian via Skype LetsDebateThings 121 13557 June 19, 2019 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1995 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  The Catholic Church has a prayer app zebo-the-fat 5 669 January 21, 2019 at 11:00 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  Intercessory prayer is pointless RobbyPants 93 10684 October 27, 2018 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Far right Catholic group worried about being banned. Jehanne 14 2044 August 24, 2018 at 9:08 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Facetime/skype Drich 43 4148 May 25, 2018 at 5:42 pm
Last Post: emjay
  Lovely Religious Group ThortheMighty 0 709 February 1, 2017 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: ThortheMighty