Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 2:04 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread
RE: Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread
I know you indicated that you weren't making an argument, Steve, but since one broke out anyway, I thought I'd add my two cents. It seems that atheists and theists are talking about two different kinds of meaning. There is the meaning which is experienced in the moment as a result of participating in an event or process which they find meaningful. Winning a sporting event can be experienced as meaningful and will still have been meaningful whether anyone remembers or reflects upon that moment ever again. Similarly for such things as raising a child or getting an education or discovering something important. That type of meaning exists in the present and is not erased by what comes after. The theists seem to want to concentrate on the type of meaning associated with remembrance and identity. This is a different kind of meaning than the first and its absence doesn't invalidate the first, despite theists' claim to the contrary. This type of meaning comes in a variety of forms, from the meaning one attaches to being a member of a family to the meaning one attaches to the events of one's history. A theme, however, is appearing here, and it relates to your comment about values, purpose, and their relation to a person.

In some sense you may be right that meaning ultimately relates to a person. However, I would argue that meaning derives not from a relationship toward any person, but specifically a relationship towards the self. All other forms of meaning are derivative. A person must first embrace a meaning as one's own, and only secondarily do other things or persons obtain meaning from that initial commitment. We can see the failure of the attempt to derive meaning through an external third party in examples such as the student who is pressured into a college career by one's parents, despite not being committed to the endeavor oneself, leaving one feeling that the exercise is ultimately pointless and empty. A similar example occurs whenever parents try to live vicariously through the lives of their children by involving them in sports or learning a musical instrument or whatever. Many times the child ends up feeling that the pursuit and their participation in it is empty and meaningless. A theist may, as they choose, find it valuable having a God living vicariously through them by forcing them through a dreary theater dominated by obsession with sin and fruits promised but never obtained, but I do not care for it personally. Regardless, at best, the theist is overplaying their hand by claiming that the atheist's life is meaningless. While an atheist lives, they are bathed in meaning to the same extant that the theist is. The theist has no advantage there. The theist simply wants to count their chickens before they are hatched, crow about an eternal life that may not exist, and derive meaning from dancing to the tune of an imaginary piper.

As an addendum, I find it a dubious proposition that deriving one's meaning by relating it to a transcendent object, whether God or something else, ultimately makes a person's experience of life more meaningful than if one doesn't. This appears to be a form of Pascal's wager in which you essentially assert that you've made a better deal than the atheist by hitching your wagon to God. Not only is it unclear how that actually alters your day to day experience of meaning, it seems to be a grasping for something one doesn't actually possess. Beyond that, many things can fill the role of the transcendent in a person's life. God isn't the only option. Living a good life, being virtuous, most things related to the good have an element of the transcendent in them, whether one links that up to God or not. Even simple things like appreciation of art or the passing of the seasons can yield a sense of transcendent meaning. The Japanese have the aesthetic of wabi sabi which is about as transcendent as one can get. The Buddhist and Hindu have the unending struggle against samsara. And so on. Theists don't have a monopoly on transcendent meaning.
[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: Open discussion of the Christian Why We're Here thread - by Angrboda - May 25, 2018 at 5:14 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Peterson's 12 Rules for Life v2.0-- actual book discussion bennyboy 238 19396 October 8, 2018 at 3:20 am
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Why I'm here: a Muslim. My Philosophy in life. What is yours;Muslim? WinterHold 43 8682 May 27, 2018 at 12:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Thumbs Up VOTE HERE: Final four questions for the Christian Debate vulcanlogician 43 4600 May 18, 2018 at 10:23 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Open challenge regarding the supernatural robvalue 38 6264 May 20, 2015 at 11:53 pm
Last Post: Faith No More
  "Everything has a cause and an explanation" discussion. Pizza 66 15420 February 22, 2015 at 11:59 am
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Discussion on debate between Esquilax and His_Majesty. Esquilax 169 31506 November 16, 2014 at 2:43 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Discussion w/ a Theist RE: Premarital Sex StealthySkeptic 110 20093 August 14, 2014 at 12:09 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  So, why are we here .. on this forum? Whateverist 69 21323 June 5, 2013 at 10:25 am
Last Post: dazzn
  Do we own our own lives? A discussion on the morality of suicide and voluntary slavery. Kirbmarc 36 14572 December 13, 2012 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: naimless
  Open Debate Challenge: Historical Jesus DeistPaladin 0 1687 May 10, 2012 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: DeistPaladin