Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 9:01 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker
RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker
(June 6, 2018 at 12:29 pm)johan Wrote: That's very true. But when I consider the alternative, I quickly get to a world I don't think I'd like to live in.

First off we're not talking about selling a hammer or a box of laundry detergent here, we're talking about an item that is created by the person selling it. Does that item qualify as art? As a person with my creative outputs I'd rather not answer that personally and I'd rather the government didn't define that either other than to say that it could be art. And also as a person who creates things, I'd rather the government and everyone else stay the hell out of telling me exactly what I'm obligated to create for whom.

If we're talking about selling mass produced products in a store, then I'm absolutely on board. The law ought to insure that if I'm willing to sell a mass produced Iphone to someone, I must be willing to sell that same item to anyone. But when it comes to something I individually create, I'd rather keep legislation out of it if that's at all possible.  

This guy creates cakes and decorates them. They are his own personal creations. If he doesn't want to create one for some particular person for some particular reason of his own, he should have that right. If we're talking about mass produced cakes that he orders from a supplier and stocks on his shelves then yes, he should be required to sell them to anyone. 

But we're talking about something he creates. And if we really want to drill down into that and put a fine legal point on it, then we must legally define which creations qualify as art and which do not. I personally think the world is a better place when we don't require someone's creative output to tick off certain boxes before can be called art.

I think the world would be a better place if I could just shoot all the people I don't like.  But NO that's against the LAW. Apparently MY strongly held beliefs don't matter.
"Tradition" is just a word people use to make themselves feel better about being an asshole.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Colorado Baker - by Divinity - June 6, 2018 at 3:04 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HIV drug mandate violates religious freedom, judge rules zebo-the-fat 6 1046 September 9, 2022 at 6:12 pm
Last Post: Divinity
  Leaked Supreme Court Decision signals majority set to overturn Roe v. Wade Cecelia 234 18936 June 7, 2022 at 11:58 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Colorado shooting, 5 dead. brewer 0 312 December 28, 2021 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Supreme Court To Take Up Right to Carry Firearm Outside Home onlinebiker 57 2592 April 29, 2021 at 8:20 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Court Ordered Quarantine brewer 2 473 October 24, 2019 at 10:15 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Supreme Court Considers Mandatory Govt Funding of Religious Education EgoDeath 8 824 September 24, 2019 at 10:37 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Fed Court, "hand over 8yrs of your finances" Brian37 15 1114 May 22, 2019 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Masterpiece Cakeshop v. Colorado Civil Rights Commission, Round 2 Angrboda 330 18368 August 23, 2018 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Court of Appeals Tells Alabama Shitheads to "Fuck Off!" Minimalist 6 1179 August 23, 2018 at 2:00 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Federal Judge rules "No fundamental right to literacy" Cecelia 69 8892 July 2, 2018 at 10:52 pm
Last Post: Fireball