Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 15, 2024, 10:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fallacy of politicizing draft dodging. OP/ED
RE: The fallacy of politicizing draft dodging. OP/ED
(August 26, 2018 at 12:44 pm)Chad32 Wrote:
(August 26, 2018 at 12:40 pm)Anomalocaris Wrote: There is something to be said for having a commander in Chief who may send men to die who has had the experience of being sent to die.

Yeah, I'd almost want anyone who says we should go to war to spend a few years on the front lines first. How many of these guys pushing for war in Iraq or North Korea were on the front in Iran?

You know who else forces service on it's population? China and North Korea. 

There is no service requirement to hold public office. If you can find that oath in the oath of office of the Constitution, I will concede. But you will not find it.

Now again, forcing someone into combat who is not mentally fit is fucking stupid. If I ran a platoon I would want to make sure that every person in it could handle it. Putting someone on the battlefield who is not fit, gets people killed.

(August 26, 2018 at 1:05 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: It speaks to character.  Something lieutenant bone spurs lacks.

Bill avoided the draft too. Please go back and re read the OP.

It makes no sense to me to put anyone IN ANY JOB they cannot handle, combat or not.

Humans are not super heros. It is great that we have things like doctors, EMTs and police and fireman and military, but male or female, not everyone is cut out to do those things.

Just like you would not want a janitor attempting neurosurgery. We need janitors, sure, but I also would not want  a doctor trying to fix the transmission of my car because they are not a trained mechanic.

And since there is no requirement in the oath of office mandating service in order to hold public office, this argument is moot.

We have never been a military ruled state just because we have a military or that military service people like McCain or Tammy Duckworth went on to serve in office.

Please do not make this an either or proposition. To me it depends on the politician, as an individual, not their service or lack of service.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The fallacy of politicizing draft dodging. OP/ED - by Brian37 - August 26, 2018 at 1:15 pm