Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 2:51 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The fallacy of politicizing draft dodging. OP/ED
RE: The fallacy of politicizing draft dodging. OP/ED
(August 26, 2018 at 2:49 pm)Brian37 Wrote:
(August 26, 2018 at 2:40 pm)Chad32 Wrote: Did you also know that Hitler ate sugar?

Yeah, I know the answer isn't perfect, and I don't know what that perfect answer would be. I don't want there to be a draft, but I also don't want people making money off war either.

That is the key globally. War is unfortunately a global industry, and friend and foe alike invest in the global weapons industry. Ike warned of what allowing that to get out of control could do.

But unfortunately we are still a tribal species, so I don't see how you can get rid of the need for a military.

I am all ears.

(August 26, 2018 at 2:35 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote: I'm not sure what any of this has to do with 'politicizing draft dodging'.

Boru

Everyone is calling Trump a draft dodger, while true so was Bill Clinton and Mitt Romney. Kerry a Democrat did serve, McCain a Republican did serve. Obama did not serve. 

I wish everyone would go and read my OP. It makes no sense to me, if you want those on the battlefield to make it home alive, to put others on the battlefield with them, who cannot handle the job. It makes more sense to me to insure anyone you put out there is vetted before they get out there.

Just like you would not want a fireman or policeman on the job who would freeze at the moment they need to take a risk.

And again, just because one cannot do something, does not mean that same person has no capability of appreciating those who can do it.

There are lots of reasons to hate Trump, his lack of service is not one of them. That is not what makes him a coward.

Inside and outside service, on any issue. I have long since hated the claim "You can do it if you try". It is true you can try, but not everyone is good at everything all the time. And especially with jobs that require focus and calm under extreme stress, not everyone is cut out for that.

I simply think it is better, just like any job, you vet the people you hire to insure you have those in that position that can do the job.

You seem to be talking more against compulsory military service than about the politicization of avoiding it, though.  I don't disagree with you there - conscription is a bad thing. 

But I'm not sure the pejorative 'draft dodger' applies to Trump, Romney, or Clinton.  If the law makes exceptions for you to avoid military service on medical, religious or educational grounds and you take advantage of it, so what?

And I don't think 'everyone' is calling Trump a draft dodger.

Boru
‘But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods or no gods. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.’ - Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: The fallacy of politicizing draft dodging. OP/ED - by BrianSoddingBoru4 - August 26, 2018 at 6:10 pm