Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 2:57 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is Moral Responsibility Compatible With Determinism?
RE: Is Moral Responsibility Compatible With Determinism?
(June 1, 2019 at 6:26 am)Alan V Wrote: No, it is not "all stimulus response."  You are completely overlooking motivated selective focus, the human ability to suppress reactions, and conflicting desires, not all of which can be followed at one time.

Vulcanlogician,

The problem with saying that all motivated selective focus is unconscious is that it isn't. Much of it is decidedly due to conscious efforts practicing behaviors for the future, even more is because of past conscious efforts which became habitual, and even more is because of consciousness overseeing and modifying, in real time, the playout of habitual behaviors. These contentions are in no way unusual in psychological studies of how humans actually work.

Are you a Freudian?

And you still haven't addressed the difference between reasoning to make decisions and direct material causation, which is the discrimination I assert the concept of free will maintains. Reasons are not the same thing as stimuli because of the level of abstraction involved. Reasons are generated in our brains as glosses of large categories of potential stimuli. We therefore don't even have to be paying attention to the world at all to act on reasons.

I would think a philosopher would be very concerned to maintain the discrimination between automatic behaviors and reasoned ones. Otherwise you undercut your own endeavors.

My whole point with mentioning conflicting desires and suppressing reactions is that they raise the execution of actions to the level of reasoning. Otherwise we could simply let our habits play out with minimal supervision.

You are defining the human self as a foreign object imposed on us from without. Where exactly are we in that view of the world? If I am indeed a material object, as I maintain, then I have at least as much causal effectiveness as any other material object in the world, and really much more since I have a much wider range of options than, say, a rock.

As far as I am concerned, you continue to beg the question of whether reductionism is true. What I am saying is that you need much better reasons to abandon a common-sense, observation-based concept of free will than you apparently have. I personally think the "appearances" of our direct observations carry much more weight, at least until scientific research into this subject has progressed a lot further.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is Moral Responsibility Compatible With Determinism? - by Alan V - June 3, 2019 at 6:37 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Maximizing Moral Virtue h311inac311 191 14085 December 17, 2022 at 10:36 pm
Last Post: Objectivist
  As a nonreligious person, where do you get your moral guidance? Gentle_Idiot 79 7220 November 26, 2022 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Moral justification for the execution of criminals of war? Macoleco 184 7337 August 19, 2022 at 7:03 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  On theism, why do humans have moral duties even if there are objective moral values? Pnerd 37 3387 May 24, 2022 at 11:49 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Can we trust our Moral Intuitions? vulcanlogician 72 4457 November 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm
Last Post: Alan V
  Determinism vs Education Foxaèr 17 1245 October 14, 2021 at 8:10 pm
Last Post: Ranjr
  Any Moral Relativists in the House? vulcanlogician 72 5237 June 21, 2021 at 9:09 am
Last Post: vulcanlogician
  [Serious] Moral Obligations toward Possible Worlds Neo-Scholastic 93 6089 May 23, 2021 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  A Moral Reality Acrobat 29 3465 September 12, 2019 at 8:09 pm
Last Post: brewer
  In Defense of a Non-Natural Moral Order Acrobat 84 7730 August 30, 2019 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: LastPoet