Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 5:26 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Does the positive side of tribalism/racism outshine the negative side?
RE: Does the positive side of tribalism/racism outshine the negative side?
(August 12, 2020 at 11:38 am)Sal Wrote: "The ends justify the means" has only ever been tentatively true. I.e. someone lying to cover for themselves or someone else to avoid harm (the usual situational example of an abusive husband looking for their wife at a friends house and the friend lying to the husband about their whereabouts springs to mind, and the very real examples of people lying to the Gestapo covering for hidden Jews during Nazy Germany). I think this is similarly true tribalism/racism. It becomes skewed, easily, when considering the short pathway between tribalism and 'othering' people, dehumanizing them.

To your first. True.

Every situation of end justifying means is subjective.

To your last. True.

I do not mind othering and most do not mind being the othered, when the players share a --- diversity is good --- ideology.

That is a positive othering whereas I think you were thinking more of the ostracizing othering.

Almost all terms are dualistic and have good and evil sides.

Regards
DL

(August 12, 2020 at 11:46 am)The Grand Nudger Wrote: Slaves weren't fed, they fed their masters and themselves.  That's not welfare...that's theft.

That was the master insuring that the hungry did not kill him for food or force him to pay for more body guards.

I think theft is better than starving.

Then again, I have a criminal mind and delinquent attitude.

Would you slave yourself, if destitute where there were no safety nets, or would you turn to crime?

Regards
DL

Messages In This Thread
RE: Does the positive side of tribalism/racism outshine the negative side? - by Greatest I am - August 12, 2020 at 12:16 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Black People - Stop Blaming Racism, Take Responsibility Napoléon 227 27025 March 18, 2022 at 4:21 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Donald Trump and Melania test positive for Coronavirus zebo-the-fat 42 3104 October 4, 2020 at 6:19 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Race baiting is economic racism Rickimoto 3 484 April 1, 2019 at 2:00 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Race baiting, economic reasons. But why isnt it defined as racism? Rickimoto 4 547 April 1, 2019 at 12:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  I've been thinking about racism, immigration, violence, murder and culture Shinri 6 742 October 12, 2018 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Does positive masculinity exist? Men correct the woman. Aroura 52 4785 October 1, 2018 at 10:59 pm
Last Post: DodosAreDead
  Penis Lives Matters. How to solve racism Kimmy 27 2713 August 24, 2018 at 3:33 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  I Side With Quiz FlyingNarwhal 18 1189 June 24, 2018 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  The political side that is the "correct" side. Catholic_Lady 34 5613 May 29, 2018 at 12:12 am
  Racism = Prejudice + Power? Mechaghostman2 1 527 August 2, 2017 at 7:32 am