Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 10:10 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept
(November 11, 2011 at 4:30 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Well quite. You don't understand Christianity. See my response to toro above.
Yes lets say I don’t understand xtianity and the nuances of the trinity. My argument is of the meaningless of god. Calling god The or A Diety does not help and you can repeat ad nauseum if you like but there is nothing on offer from you.
(November 11, 2011 at 4:30 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Of course the terms 'deity' and 'God' are both fully identified and obviously seperate in definition, in exactly the same way as man and homosapien are!
So tell us what they are then so that you might refute the argument. The floor is yours. Please do not respond that you already have, you really haven’t.
(November 11, 2011 at 4:30 am)fr0d0 Wrote: Captain... you are trying to say that 'gods', because the term can be applied to all religious deity's, invalidates the word 'God' when considering ONLY the Christian God. This is a point made that you just by saying 'oh no it isn't IS NOT CHALLENGED. Sorry for the caps but I'm getting really tired of repeating myself.
Yes SO AM I. Still waiting for something concrete……..
(November 11, 2011 at 4:30 am)fr0d0 Wrote: You seem to have changed from a person who could make and take vlid points into someone who like Rhythm, ignores everything put to them and baselessly repeats the same old bullshit.
I am happy to take valid points. I just haven’t seen any. Frods I think you are a genuinely nice fella, and bright. I also think you have a developed a pattern of argumentation which goes something like:
Offer up some mystical and wooly response > argue that it is solid and the other person fails because of your rejoinder > argue that they have failed to show why you are wrong despite the glaring problems not concede them > gloss over problems in your rejoinders and pick at the edges of arguments without addressing the central questions > argue that you already answered it but provide nothing in reality > argue that the other person is ignoring you > argue that its their fault > ridicule sound arguments as being baseless/ bullshit/straight fails > sound all hurt/ad hom the other person.
Not once I you ever started a post arguing FOR xtianity (to my knowledge and I could be wrong). Why don’t you tell us on what basis you believe, instead of these sniping tactics. Why don’t you say I cannot identify gods primary attribute because…, or I can because….. Calling god a Diety is poor, I’ve showed you why and I don’t intend to repeat it.

(November 11, 2011 at 4:30 am)fr0d0 Wrote: I see. So you are saying that God isn't defined because you don't know the definitions. An argument from ignorance? Because he is very thoroughly defined in the bible, for you to check out and know exactly that definition.
Stop playing to the crowd and answer the points. It isn’t for me to define something I do not believe exists, and for which I have provided an argument against its existence. You are making the counter claim that I am wrong and there is a god. So identify his primary attribute so we can all understand gods nature and move on from dictionary definitions. I have no burden of proof, and I really do not know how you can accuse me of an argument from ignorance, that is bizarre. If I am ignorant its because no theist (inc you) has identified gods positive primary attribute. Its your concept so make my argument less ‘ignorant’…you do not seem able too and want to shift the burden onto me…see below
(November 11, 2011 at 4:30 am)fr0d0 Wrote: If you claim that this God has no definitions, surely the oness is upon you to find out if that claim is correct. I'm not making any claims: I'm just pointing out the flaw in yours, and showing you the evidence.
In the absence of any coherency in the bible or anywhere else in reality as to the nature of god, I am left wholly unimpressed. Lets not pretend its as clear cut as you want to make it either. How many responses will we receive to the question: What is god?, to xtians. We might get back: Hes love, an immaterial being, a mind floating in a supernatural realm, a timeless being, the almighty, the creator, Jesus, the lifeforce, the alpha and omega, or more or combinations thereof. All totally meaningless unless we know a positive primary attribute, particularly one that’s makes sense against the framework of reality.
(November 11, 2011 at 4:30 am)fr0d0 Wrote: A gross generalisation intended to make something undefined where it clearly isn't. Only to you is God meaningless and unknowable. Internally, to you, therefore, is the only place where this supposition works. You define your own misunderstanding.
Or god is meaningless as argued for and there is nothing to understand.
"I still say a church steeple with a lightning rod on top shows a lack of confidence"...Doug McLeod.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by Captain Scarlet - November 11, 2011 at 10:32 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by toro - November 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by toro - November 13, 2011 at 12:34 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 10:52 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 11:39 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by Blam! - November 13, 2011 at 11:53 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 9149 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely Yadayadayada 66 8952 January 4, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "Gods", a concept too fuzzy to invest belief in .. either way. Whateverist 24 13658 June 26, 2012 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  God as a metaphor/concept warrenmi 4 1559 May 18, 2012 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Meaningfulness v meaninglessness; theism vs atheism; dqualk 179 52556 March 1, 2011 at 8:50 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko