Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 2:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept
(November 13, 2011 at 11:12 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: Who says that the xtian defintion of god is true?
Yet again, you are failing to provide logical evidence either way.

The Xtian definition is set, and so you have that to address if you choose to, and you seem to be choosing to. Through belief you can find out if it's true or not, and not in any other way. You either address the problem or don't. It matters not to me either way.

(November 13, 2011 at 11:12 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: It is only logically impossible for you to know he exists empirically, if we know that the christian non-empirical definition of him is true. We don't know this, and to a rational person there is no sound basis to believe it.
There is sound rational basis there for you to consider. It is your choice to act upon that either way.

(November 13, 2011 at 11:12 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: prove he exists! You can't? I can guess why!
Because your illogic defies it?

(November 13, 2011 at 11:12 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote:
Quote:You state that there isn't a god. A bold claim. On what evidence? A: Because you say so.

No, not because I say so but because there is no evidence to support the existence of god and no reason to believe in a creator either.
You denying evidence =/= it not being there.

(November 13, 2011 at 11:12 am)Norfolk And Chance Wrote: no evidence = no god - I can state that reasonably boldly in a debate with a theist without worrying about being shown up.
Yet here you are being shown up. The burden of proof is shouldered by anyone making a claim. You have made a strong claim that there is no God and then failed to show any rational support for that claim. I'm afraid the burden is still yours.

Quote:I'm sorry: not good enough. This life is what you've got and you ought to face up to it rather than theorise about what might have been.

Confused Fall I can't believe a theist has just said that to me. With a straight face.
Yet here you are suggesting that reality is in error Dunno

Quote:We have a choice and that's how it works in this reality.

Yes WE (Atheists) have a choice, theists seem not to. You're told to believe from an early age, this is not a choice. The choice given by god (believe in me as your saviour OR go to hell and suffer) is not a choice, it is an instruction to do something or pay the price.
You make a lot of assumptions for your supposed non assumptive stance.

Your choice, given God or not given God, is to suffer the hell of doing bad stuff or live in heaven and do what's right. Those are scary words I know. Reality will get you which ever way you decide to play it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by toro - November 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by toro - November 13, 2011 at 12:34 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 10:52 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 11:39 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by Blam! - November 13, 2011 at 11:53 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 9126 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely Yadayadayada 66 8941 January 4, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "Gods", a concept too fuzzy to invest belief in .. either way. Whateverist 24 13655 June 26, 2012 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  God as a metaphor/concept warrenmi 4 1558 May 18, 2012 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Meaningfulness v meaninglessness; theism vs atheism; dqualk 179 52499 March 1, 2011 at 8:50 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko