Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 23, 2024, 1:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept
(November 19, 2011 at 9:00 am)fr0d0 Wrote: To understand the aincient Hebrew texts we need to take into account the parrallel traditions for a correct perspective.
I quite agree on that!
I’ve read translations of the cuneiform texts and I’ve studied hieroglyphic texts because I’ve taught myself to translate the hieroglyphic script. I can assure you therefore that I understand the Old Testament and that I do respect it deeply.

The case of the New Testament is, however, quite different: The texts were written originally in Greek and there are no Hebrew or Aramaic texts from which… some authors included translations, as per passage you quoted.

By writing the gospels directly in Greek, the authors (if we assume they knew Jesus, or that they at least knew someone who had seen and heard Jesus) did translate the words of Jesus into a language he was not speaking. In this way they saved no original words of Jesus other that the four words already mentioned.
Isn’t it a huge blunder?

During that time the Greek language was used by the scholars, the aristocracy and the upper classes in general. Jesus was not preaching to them and the gospels are supposed to have been written for the common people to know the words of Jesus, but the layman did not speak Greek. Not everybody was speaking Greek then as not everybody is speaking English today. These countries are not Greek-speaking countries today.

So why write the gospels in Greek?
The only sensible answer is that the authors of the gospels did not speak Hebrew or Aramaic. The gospels, as well as the story of Jesus was made up, most probably based on a model case or based on the life of Julius Ceasar, as per the relevant theory.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by toro - November 10, 2011 at 10:52 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by toro - November 13, 2011 at 12:34 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 10:52 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 11:39 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by Blam! - November 13, 2011 at 11:53 am
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 12:36 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 13, 2011 at 12:54 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by dtango - November 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm
RE: The meaninglessness of the Christian god concept - by fr0d0 - November 19, 2011 at 12:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why do you not believe in the concept of a God? johndoe122931 110 9081 June 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm
Last Post: Mermaid
  Why do atheists claim that the concept of God is so unlikely Yadayadayada 66 8928 January 4, 2017 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  "Gods", a concept too fuzzy to invest belief in .. either way. Whateverist 24 13648 June 26, 2012 at 11:26 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  God as a metaphor/concept warrenmi 4 1558 May 18, 2012 at 3:39 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Meaningfulness v meaninglessness; theism vs atheism; dqualk 179 52388 March 1, 2011 at 8:50 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko