Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 12, 2024, 3:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Contradiction or Forgetfulness
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness
No. I'm referring to the use of camels as a literary device in stories set before their domestication. Just as people take the stories that include this element as some kind of history, they presume that what magic books says jesus said is a history of his remarks. Such that we have two conflicting accounts of a historically factual nature. Neither is this case. The new testament cannot be read as the minutes of a meeting with god in the flesh.

Disparities between their accounts are not examples, even, of a "jesus-the-man" being inconsistent. It's an issue of an author using a literary device to narrate their ideological persuasions. If you dig into it, you'll find that you've quoted selections from at least five different authors. We don't think that all of these authors collaborated with or were fully appraised of the contents of each others work, separated by time, by community, by tradition, by opportunity. They did not (and could not) forget what they may not have known.

Still, I think we can charitably and credibly read the accounts in the synoptics as variations on a singular underlying theme. He comes off like a social activist. He sees the poor and the needy and the oppressed - he sees their effort, he sees inequality between the haves and have nots..and sides with the have nots as the possessors of true virtue. He tells people do do decent things for the least of us. By ephesians and acts...though.. jesus the activist is long dead, christ risen in his place, and with christ the salvation his death on the cross is asserted to bring. The promised world has failed to materialize, christians are persecuted by the state. Works, in short, hadn't worked.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by Ferrocyanide - February 7, 2022 at 9:40 pm
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by no one - February 7, 2022 at 10:29 pm
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by Ferrocyanide - February 8, 2022 at 4:51 pm
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by The Grand Nudger - February 8, 2022 at 3:21 am
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by Ferrocyanide - February 8, 2022 at 1:50 pm
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by The Grand Nudger - February 8, 2022 at 2:34 pm
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by Ferrocyanide - February 8, 2022 at 9:55 pm
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by The Grand Nudger - February 8, 2022 at 5:15 pm
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by Jehanne - February 8, 2022 at 6:27 pm
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by Ranjr - February 9, 2022 at 12:19 am
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by Paleophyte - February 16, 2022 at 12:33 am
RE: Contradiction or Forgetfulness - by Ferrocyanide - February 16, 2022 at 8:54 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is this a contradiction or am I reading it wrong? Genesis 5:28 Ferrocyanide 110 10768 April 10, 2023 at 3:32 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Dr. Craig contradiction. Jehanne 121 26367 November 13, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: Harry Nevis
  A Contradiction of Coercions Can We Have a Christian Explaination? Jenny A 26 8863 July 27, 2015 at 2:56 am
Last Post: robvalue
  A Real and Significant Biblical Contradiction? spockrates 169 63183 March 28, 2013 at 9:23 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Moses Lied! Contradiction Alert!!! catfish 56 28852 February 5, 2013 at 7:16 pm
Last Post: fr0d0
  Sacrifices are sick! Contradiction Alert!!! catfish 137 54632 August 14, 2012 at 7:09 am
Last Post: Zen Badger
  Bible contradiction GodlessGirl 2 1705 July 23, 2012 at 2:56 pm
Last Post: Drich