Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 11:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
(December 3, 2011 at 1:10 pm)LastPoet Wrote: I'm done with you lucent, seeing that I have basicly repeated myself alot. You don't get it. It is one thing to have a decent conversation, its a complete different animal to speak with someone unwilling to listen, not deaf, because deaf people want to hear. Since you can't understand what I said, Ace and the others, and when I remember about your demons, I laughted, not about you, but about me, for foolishly trying to argue with an apologist. There is something that conforts me, that is that mabe there are people out there that have their eyes opened to what I had to say.

But since you are repeating yourself ad nauseum, nothing I say will not be a repetition, go ahead with that belief about atheists, if that makes you feel better. Or using an American expression:"Knock yourself out!".

I do get it. You want atheism to be the default position and therefore you have to redefine atheism to mean "lack of belief", and you further cement it by trying to conjoin it with agnosticism, all to escape any burden of proof. It's an intellectual dishonesty that pervades the atheist community.

What is plainly obvious is that you don't believe in God, in fact you are totally hostile to the idea, and to anyone who believes in it. So when you claim you "lack belief" it is simply a facade you throw up because you have no justification for your position.

If someone asked you the question, "do you believe in God?", are you going to answer "i lack a belief in God"? Because that isn't an answer to the question. It is an irrelevent detail about your psychology, it does not refer to whether a proposition is true or not. And if I asked you why you "lacked belief" in God, we would quickly find out that you have many beliefs about the subject indeed.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism's Definition - Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy - by lucent - December 3, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27856 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What is the right definition of agnostic? Red_Wind 27 6203 November 7, 2016 at 11:43 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Definition of "atheism" Pyrrho 23 9040 November 19, 2015 at 3:37 pm
Last Post: Ludwig
  A practical definition for "God" robvalue 48 16166 September 26, 2015 at 9:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12742 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12280 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Definition of Atheism MindForgedManacle 55 14838 July 7, 2014 at 12:28 pm
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  Poetry, Philosophy, or Science? Mudhammam 0 1194 March 22, 2014 at 4:37 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Debate share, young earth? atheism coverup? atheism gain? xr34p3rx 13 10611 March 16, 2014 at 11:30 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  My definition of being an atheist. Vegamo 14 5194 January 21, 2014 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: truthBtold