Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 9, 2024, 6:23 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole
RE: Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole
"I wonder why. Perhaps it's because unbetrothed virgins are much more valuable property"

no, it's b/c they are promised to marry another man. this is almost as bad as adultery and this is besides the point.

"So yeah, women can be executed if they're raped and don't cry loudly enough."

this is completely unrepresented let me quote a part of it. "the young woman because she did not cry out in the city" do you see the words loudly enough? no you put those there. the fact is in the city the buildings were close enough and made of mud and they had no glass windows. there was no such thing as soundproofing at the time so if a girl cried at all in a city, she would be heard. is she didn't cry then she wasn't raped and that's why she would be stoned.

"but allowing them to keep the virgin women and female children for themselves."

this isn't related to what we're talking about cuz it doesn't mention rape

"Provide evidence that the bible condemns slavery because that's the topic of the conversation."

it doesn't condem it b/c it was not as unjust as it was in america. you cannot compare english definitions to hebrew text

"My point is that slavery and rape is amoral in the real world but not in the bible."

what you've done is taken a general word and put it in a broad topic. this is the fact; there are different types of slavery. american slavery- a single race was kidnapped from their homes in africa and brought to america and other countries where they were forced to do labor for no payment. middle aged servatude- low classed people were hired by nobles to do work for them for little payment and for provided food and shelter. though they were highered, they had no life outside that of servatude to go to. biblical slavery- when people sold themselves (more accurately their services) for a temporary amount of time in order to earn money so they may purchase land or pay off debts.
my point is THEY ARE ALL DIFFERENT. what your doing is like saying all murder is the same and should be punished equally. well no, there are different types of murder (degrees) in which some are heinous than others. IT'S NOT BLACK AND WHITE. if slaves are free and they choose their life and they can leave it at any time it's equivilant to a JOB.

"Slaves aren't employees that can earn a living. They're not butlers or handmaids (regardless of the names the bible gives them) or manservents. They're slaves. They earn as much money as you choose to give them. They have as much freedom as you choose to give them."

then your definition of a slave does not fit what the bible defines. in the bible, those who are called slaves sell themselves (which they come to an agreement on what price they get). in the bible it clearly defines how much freedom they are given, it's not defined by the owner. in the bible, you are not allowed to mistreat them as it says "you shall not rule over them with rigor" which you constantly ignore when i say this. though the bible says servants obey your masters, but are you not supposed to listen to your boss? you cannot throw general definitions of english words that aren't specific at all and pertain them to the bible. if you want to look at definitions, look at what the hebrew word means, or look at the context of what the bible defines as slave laws which i have clearly pointed out.

"You need to look up the definition of "Godwin Fallacy" and then look at my statments again."

when i looked it up i got Godwin's Law which idk how that applies. we aren't talking about Hitler or Nazis.

"That's nice that you believe that. Amusing, actually, since relations was supposed to take place centuries ago given that the predictions essentially required certain biblical figures to be alive at the time."

really? there's a specific date jesus said he would return? try reading Mark 13:32

"But hey, you're not the only person to take what you want from the bible and leave out the invonvenient truths of what is actually in the bible. "

Me?!?! YOU'RE THE ONE WHO TAKES GENERAL ENGLISH WORD DEFINITIONS AND TRY TO APPLY THEM TO ANCIENT HEBREW WORDS. YOUR THE ONE WHO SAYS THAT'S NOT RIGHT IN TODAY'S SOCIETY THEREFORE IT'S NOT RIGHT BACK THEN NOT TAKING TO ACCOUNT THE CULTURE AT THE TIME. I LOOK AT MORE THAN JUST THE BIBLE YOU JUST PICK AND CHOOSE WHATEVER YOU CAN USE AS WEAPONS. YOU DON'T DESIRE TRUTH!
and look at leviticus 25:39-40 and tell me how unjust those statements are

Messages In This Thread
RE: Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole - by chi pan - December 30, 2011 at 3:58 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11595 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Easy comebacks ? Macoleco 50 6277 November 22, 2019 at 6:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why garden and not whole world? Fake Messiah 14 2612 March 21, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7813 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16848 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1162 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23474 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8994 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 17399 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9941 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee