Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 1:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole
RE: Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole
(December 30, 2011 at 6:00 am)chipan Wrote: "Slaves taken as spoils of war"

yes, there are a few, however they are treated the same as described in leviticus 25. it's war, and i must say i've seen worse in war.

So? That they were treated "well" (as you claim) does not invalidate the moral issue of owning people as property (as was the case with slaves as spoils of war - they were slaves for life).

You originally made the claim that "biblical slavery" was voluntary servitude, voluntarily entered into by the person. Nice to see that you're acknowledging that it's much, much more than that.

Quote:"Children sold into servitude by their parents."

this has happened however the law still applies that the family can redeem them.

So? If they can't, they're still slaves. Again, regardless of how well you claim they had to be treated.

Quote:"Free men sentenced to servitude/slavery under court order "

are you really defending criminals? how is this servitude much worse than going to prison? i consider it an improvement, at least they're benifiting society.

I said NOTHING about criminality, not that it would matter. Biblical law allowed for people to be enslaved over DEBT.

Quote:
"None of those three cases involve voluntary servitude (not that there is anything moral about selling one's self into slavery)."

yes, however so many rules are applied to them it's like forcing them to have a job on a farm. without slavery, these people would have no life at all. they would be dieing in the thousands b/c they have no way to make a living. no matter how wrong you think it is, the fact is it's vital for low class life, just peasants in the feudal system needed to work for the nobles. they didn't complain b/c it's better than the alternative.

And you people call us moral relativists.

Let me ask you two simple questions that only need a yes or no answer.

1) Is God's law / morality objective and eternal?

2) Is slavery morally wrong today?

(December 30, 2011 at 6:00 am)chipan Wrote: no matter how wrong you think it is, the fact is it's vital for low class life, just peasants in the feudal system needed to work for the nobles. they didn't complain b/c it's better than the alternative.

Feudalism was effectively slavery. Are you serious? "They didn't complain..."?!? They had NO RECOURSE TO COMPLAIN because the noble they "worked for" owned them for all intents and purposes. The alternative was death.

After reading your posts since you've been here I can only conclude that you're woefully and willfully ignorant, not to mention berift of any sense of real morality.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole - by Jackalope - December 30, 2011 at 6:41 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  10 Syllogistic arguments for Gods existence Otangelo 84 11497 January 14, 2020 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Easy comebacks ? Macoleco 50 6226 November 22, 2019 at 6:54 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why garden and not whole world? Fake Messiah 14 2599 March 21, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Satanic Bible vs Christian Bible ƵenKlassen 31 7762 November 27, 2017 at 10:38 am
Last Post: drfuzzy
  How do religious people react to their own arguments? Vast Vision 60 16810 July 9, 2017 at 2:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Stephen Fry and Christopher Hitchens against Catholicism Edwardo Piet 2 1162 May 14, 2017 at 9:02 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Atheists, what are the most convincing theist arguments you heard of? SuperSentient 169 23420 April 1, 2017 at 9:43 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Why most arguments for God prove God. Mystic 67 8954 March 25, 2017 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Fred Hampton
  Strong and Weak Arguments Neo-Scholastic 99 17362 January 11, 2017 at 12:41 am
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  The Best Evidence For God and Against God The Joker 49 9910 November 22, 2016 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Asmodee