Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 2:35 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
World headed for irreversible climate change in five years, IEA warns
RE: World headed for irreversible climate change in five years, IEA warns
I have no reason to doubt that most see ACC as evolved moral perspective. Sure, maybe. As for science... Remember Edward Lorenz? TV weatherman? Plugs twenty variables into his computer to simulate weather and out pops Chaos theory? Angel

Sensationalism in the headline, sensationalism in the title; but the only thing of note was Moros blasting away. Good stuff. Designing simulation of global warming is useful occupation even if global warming is a scam. That's what morality is for, finding a point to a pointless existence. Just had some cat questioning the morality of my atheism, I got pretty pointy. Big Grin

Pointy is cool. It relieves tension, provides entertainment, and reminds the civilized that a human is a dangerous predator. Tiger

Humanity is top of the food chain, pinnacle of universe, and good company; but there are certain areas where we haven't past our certification. Working together is one, fixing shit without knowing what is broke is another.

What is clearly broken is ethical standard, especially in terms of the global economy. There ain't one. There's predation, same as it ever was, only now it comes in living color, with advertising, marketing, and the practiced deception of proposing moral perspective as ethical code. That's the kind of shit we're good at, pointing fingers, getting heated; then following the herd, settling down, and getting back to what's important in life. Like playing Mass Effect.

Which is a moral perspective equally as valid as mounting up the white charger and going on a crusade.

Like Beth K over here. Let's just kill the extraneous six billion. Yay Beth! I'm a certified psychopath, I'm supposed to understand evil; and there's Beth, being all smiley about it. See how it goes? I earn the entitlement of Lucifer from decoding scripture and building the prototype of zero-state morality - which is a solution to this problem, by the way, and the day job - and here's Beth tutoring ol' Nick on evil. Gotta love it.

The answer is no, Beth. My simulations indicate that we are good with Gaia up until eleven billion monkeys. Overpopulation is a local rather than global problem, the affected municipalities are more qualified to assess and rectify the error in their ethical standard. Lucy does the global evil; and this shit right here, the internet, is the hypothetical vector for anti-viral meme once I get a workable production model. And this is paragon technology, thus intensely fragile; while this form of globalization is one of the universe's most valuable resources. A sword is still a sword, but the pen has evolved into virtuality and is now mightier than evolutionary imperative.

Evolutionary imperative provides the baseline for moral philosophy. Both the atheistic variable of empathy and the theistic hymnal of killing in the name of god apply - leave it to the theists to actuate the evil - because that is the same paradigm that has my dickhead government eyeballing Persia like an animal on the hunt...

Back to the topic. In terms of chaos mathematics, if humanity represents the tipping point through willful consumptive consumerism, then we're fucked. That is a very big if; it is also the kind of problem where the only solution is go forward. Go forward comes up a lot in solution sets. What doesn't come up, because it is entirely marketed fiction, is going backwards. There ain't no utopia to which one can return. And carbon tax is ridiculous; another thing we're good at is comedy. Most don't do so well separating the comedy from the fiction.

Which is to say Yours is the moral perspective that must be assessed, evaluated, and renormalized as necessary. Care should be first given to the fire in your house before addressing the inferno about to consume the world. Now that's that's said, I can get back on the Normandy, feeling like I did something. Big Grin
[Image: twQdxWW.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
RE: World headed for irreversible climate change in five years, IEA warns - by houseofcantor - January 1, 2012 at 5:17 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Supreme Court has just declared combating climate change unconstitutional Rev. Rye 8 1485 July 5, 2022 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Climate Change - Human Extinction Rahn127 29 4063 January 30, 2019 at 10:43 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Organic Molecules Found 400 Light Years From Earth Minimalist 364 58688 August 21, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  Climate Change Science Aractus 19 3791 March 16, 2014 at 1:22 am
Last Post: Aractus
  What's 700 Million Years Among Friends? Minimalist 15 3591 September 27, 2013 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Searching4truth
  President Obama's Climate Change Speech Cato 6 2249 June 26, 2013 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  Will we witness the transition from a type 0 to a type I civilization in 100 years? L.A.F. 29 8905 June 6, 2013 at 2:58 pm
Last Post: Walking Void
  Environmentalism and Climate Change KichigaiNeko 19 7814 August 4, 2012 at 12:35 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  NCSE's Climate Change Education Page Justtristo 2 1264 June 3, 2012 at 6:29 am
Last Post: Tiberius
  Climate catastrophe isn't so certain Welsh cake 74 34866 May 22, 2012 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: orogenicman