Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 11:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Christian mindset
RE: The Christian mindset
(November 1, 2008 at 7:18 am)Darwinian Wrote: Most of the Christians that I have ever encountered have always tried to convert me to their faith.

For the most part the JWs and the Mormons are the only ones who follow the example of Christ and his early disciples in going from door to door, so you must be referring to Christians you have encountered at work and online?

It is their desire to convert you much the same as the polititians want to convert you in a sense, but that isn't their prime objective. Instead they want to give you the good news for you to evaluate and accept or reject.

(November 1, 2008 at 7:18 am)Darwinian Wrote: Every time they do this they always seem to use the same terminology and quote the same passages from the bible at me and each time I tell them that the way they are going about this is the least likely approach to win me over.

With the implication that there is a right way about doing it? Dodgy

(November 1, 2008 at 7:18 am)Darwinian Wrote: If they really want to win people like me over (a pretty futile exercise) then they have to come up with a philosophy and interpretation that makes sense, but they never do.

I am inclined to doubt that if I could provide you with this it would hasten your 'conversion' right along so lets put it to the test. Tell me one thing at a time that they say that doesn't make sense and we can take it from there - not for your conversion because I am not at all interested in that, but for the sake of testing your original supposition.

(November 1, 2008 at 7:18 am)Darwinian Wrote: I suppose the point that I am really trying to make is this. Are they really interested in my immortal soul or are they simply fulfilling their duty as a Christian.

I can't speak for them and I doubt that that is the point you are trying to make. The point you are trying to make is more likely that you just wish they would all shut up and leave you alone. Nevertheless, to answer your question 'are they really interested in your immortal soul' the answer is no. For two reasons; because 'your' soul isn't immortal (Ezekiel 18:4) and if they were interested enough to concern themselves with 'your' soul they would have bothered to look it up. Had they done so they would have seen that not only is 'your' soul not immortal but it isn't 'yours.' I can't remember what the second reason is ... anyway from there they could have investigated what the soul is - I will be posting information on that today which you can promptly ignore. Hmm, maybe that was the second reason, if you don't care about your soul than why should they?

(November 1, 2008 at 7:18 am)Darwinian Wrote: Anyone in marketing will tell you that if an approach or campaign doesn't work then you change the campaign, but, from what I can gather, Christian always regurgitate the same nonsense and expect you to suddenly see the light and if you don't, well, that's your problem because they've done their bit.

Well, sadly this is absolutely true, but on the other hand it actually has seemed to work, hasn't it. The campaign, I mean. Just not with you.
(November 1, 2008 at 7:53 am)EvidenceVsFaith Wrote: I agree, same old ways most of the time.
I think ts because even though the bible changes a bit when it is edited and re-edited the book pretty much stays the same. And so the methods for conversion stay pretty much the same.
With science however things do change a lot over time and more importantly, they progress all the time. Sure they take a step back sometimes but that's part of progress, people make mistakes even brilliant scientists of course and if they were afraid to make mistakes all the time then things certainly wouldn't progress as much.

Thousands of years ago science thought that the earth was a giant turtle resting upon the backs of four giant elephants. Later - quite recently in a relative manner of speaking - science said the planet Earth was flat.

Thousands of years ago the Bible said that the earth was spherical (sometimes translated circle, globe etc. from the Hebrew word chug also meaning spherical) and hanging upon nothing. (Job 26:7 / Isaiah 40:22)

Up until about 100 years ago medical science thought nothing of a doctor going directly from the morgue having been cutting open the dead to the birthing room to deliver a baby.

Thousands of years before that, when the surrounding people's idea of healing was to smear shit all over everything, the Bible gave strict sanitary laws that would have prevented not only the primitive fecal cure but the gross practice of medical science 100 years ago.

Perhaps the Bible seems so stationary while science seems in motion because science has a lot of catching up to do. The question is ... why? How did those primitive people get it so right so long before anyone else?

Messages In This Thread
The Christian mindset - by Darwinian - November 1, 2008 at 7:18 am
RE: The Christian mindset - by Edwardo Piet - November 1, 2008 at 7:53 am
RE: The Christian mindset - by Bungy - November 1, 2008 at 8:49 am
RE: The Christian mindset - by Daystar - November 1, 2008 at 12:45 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Edwardo Piet - November 2, 2008 at 10:08 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Daystar - November 2, 2008 at 10:32 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Edwardo Piet - November 2, 2008 at 10:42 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Daystar - November 2, 2008 at 11:08 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Edwardo Piet - November 2, 2008 at 11:16 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Daystar - November 3, 2008 at 11:46 am
RE: The Christian mindset - by Edwardo Piet - November 3, 2008 at 12:10 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Darwinian - November 1, 2008 at 4:07 pm
The Soul (Hebrew Nephesh / Greek Psykhe) - by Daystar - November 1, 2008 at 5:25 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Darwinian - November 1, 2008 at 5:39 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Daystar - November 2, 2008 at 1:34 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Meatball - November 2, 2008 at 11:17 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Edwardo Piet - November 2, 2008 at 11:32 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Darwinian - November 3, 2008 at 12:32 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Edwardo Piet - November 3, 2008 at 12:58 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Tiberius - November 3, 2008 at 1:04 pm
RE: The Christian mindset - by Edwardo Piet - November 3, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90984 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  A look into the mindset of an Evangelical Trumptard drfuzzy 10 1688 October 12, 2018 at 2:49 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7572 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6390 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej