Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 7:00 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can you really move to Canada if your candidate loses?
RE: Can you really move to Canada if your candidate loses?
(November 5, 2012 at 10:54 pm)TaraJo Wrote: I'm considering it, I really am. My biggest worry is that Romney puts his people on the supreme court and they overturn Lawrence v Texas (the supreme court case from 2003 that says states can't make consensual sex between same sex partners a crime).

I feel similarly about the overturning of Roe v. Wade. Even though I live in a state that would most likely still allow safe abortion, do I really want to live in a country where some women wouldn't have access? For instance, Mississippi or Wyoming. Is it right, just, or fair that women living in these states, upon an overturning of Roe v. Wade, would likely lose their access to legal and safe abortions? The argument would be made that they could just travel to have an abortion, while completely denying the reality that a lot of these women wouldn't have the means or the ability to take off of work to travel for such a procedure.
It comes down to state's rights. Do states have the right to deny a minority (women, in this case) within that state the ability to make decisions regarding their own health? Do states have the right to deny a minority (homosexuals, in Tara's case) the right to have sexual relations with another consenting adult? Nay.
We're supposed to be a nation of religious tolerance, however, Christians often fail to view people of other faiths or no faith at all as beneath them. The arguments against abortion and homosexual activity are completely grounded in Christian morality, which doesn't jibe with the morality of a lot of Americans.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Can you really move to Canada if your candidate loses? - by festive1 - November 6, 2012 at 8:32 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Things you buy and never really use Theswordismyleopard 28 2004 September 1, 2020 at 11:47 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Canada Memes .....EH The Architect Of Fate 47 3135 August 4, 2020 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Crossing into Canada EgoDeath 5 601 November 22, 2019 at 10:00 am
Last Post: EgoDeath
  Can you filthy foreigners please invite your friends? Losty 43 3110 May 1, 2019 at 2:42 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  You can tell it' s REALLY cold out when - onlinebiker 13 1383 January 31, 2019 at 4:56 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Move over Movember. JanuHairy is here! ignoramus 2 427 January 22, 2019 at 10:17 am
Last Post: brewer
  How can you succeed in your life? KarlFedren 21 1691 March 7, 2018 at 4:59 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Have you ever said or done really stupid things on purpose just to feel less empty? Edwardo Piet 21 2190 October 14, 2017 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How many pillows do you sleep with, how do you use them & which can't you do without? Whateverist 31 2274 September 29, 2017 at 8:27 am
Last Post: Joods
  If Your House Caught Fire, what are the Last 3 Things You'd Grab On Your Way Out? vorlon13 30 6917 August 21, 2017 at 11:37 am
Last Post: mlmooney89