Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 4, 2024, 9:03 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Uganda passing law that allows them to put homosexuals to death.
RE: Uganda passing law that allows them to put homosexuals to death.
(November 15, 2012 at 3:09 am)Daniel Wrote: I'm glad to see you don't hold this view. Wouldn't it be a surprise if I agree with you here - it's "not because they're gay" - but it is because of something related to being gay.
Cue the slippery slope...

(November 15, 2012 at 3:09 am)Daniel Wrote: They have an identity problem. They identify themselves via their sexuality. How many heterosexuals, if you asked them to describe who they are, would put heterosexuality at the top of the list? Not many.
I have an identity problem, that's why I'm in therapy. I'm also unemployed (technically, I'm a stay-at-home-mom).
Heterosexuals don't use their sexuality as a key to their identity because it is the "default" position. There's nothing different from mainstream culture in being heterosexual. There is something different in being homosexual. Homosexual teens are more likely to be bullied, more likely to be kicked out of their homes by intolerant parents, and more likely to commit suicide.

(November 15, 2012 at 3:09 am)Daniel Wrote: A friend of mine, Lisa, my one and only lesbian friend, has at times attacked my view on sexuality. I've explained to her that I have an equal problem with de-facto relationships that are heterosexual - she doesn't care. I've asked why it's so important to her what I think, especially as it doesn't mean we can't be friends and I'm not interested in belittling or otherwise causing her any problems. She said "because it's who I am".
I would have problems with someone who was critical of my sexuality, regardless of their reasoning. I did have a lot of problems growing up in a Christian community, because of the judgemental-ness of the Christians around me.

(November 15, 2012 at 3:09 am)Daniel Wrote: I've pointed out to her that at least I don't bullshit and try and hide my views.
Bigoted views are bigoted, regardless if they are voiced or not. My dad is a very outspoken racist, doesn't make him a better person because he doesn't keep those thoughts to himself.

(November 15, 2012 at 3:09 am)Daniel Wrote: I'm a Christian, I accept the fact that we are going to be tempted to sin, and tempted in different ways. She may well have been born with same-sex sexuality, neither I nor anyone else can tell her she wasn't. If she isn't Christian then of course she's going to "live in sin" like the rest of the world does, but it doesn't mean that we should be uncompassionate.

Poor self image is the biggest problem that I think needs to be effectively addressed. I don't want to change her, God himself calls us to him and doesn't expect us to change who we are. But as we have a greater confidence, self-image, self-worth, we can rely more on what makes us special to others and to God, and less on trivial things we thought were utterly important.
And there's that slippery slope. She's not immoral because she's gay, she's immoral because she doesn't accept god and "lives in sin?" You say you don't want to change her... but everything else you are saying here says otherwise. You want her to convert and accept Jesus as her savior.
I have developed confidence, a more positive self-image, an increased sense of self-worth... And I've done it without god. God is not a cure-all. This reads like everyone should just find god, and then the world would hold hands and sing Kumbaya.

I have to give a nod to Kirbmarc, that was very well put. Better than my response anyway Tongue

Messages In This Thread
RE: Uganda passing law that allows them to put homosexuals to death. - by festive1 - November 15, 2012 at 8:40 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The hearings and a matter of law. Brian37 0 229 June 29, 2022 at 9:35 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Texas Law could circumvent Roe V. Wade Cecelia 55 4560 September 29, 2021 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  LAW and CIVILIZATION senorlegalo 64 5025 January 19, 2021 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Fuck them BrokenQuill92 1 439 October 27, 2020 at 12:38 am
Last Post: Sal
  [Serious] What's the point? Trump and the GOP are clearly above the law no matter what you say GODZILLA 21 2579 May 21, 2019 at 10:46 am
Last Post: Brian37
  True Enough - Because Jesus Is An Embarrassment To Them Minimalist 8 1186 November 22, 2018 at 7:53 pm
Last Post: YahwehIsTheWay
  Why is it Politics has no turned into an us verses them? Why? GODZILLA 29 2733 July 11, 2018 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  NFL owners admit Trump pressured them into banning player protests Foxaèr 27 2900 May 24, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Laws Are No Better Than The Fuckheads Who Enforce Them Minimalist 2 638 April 3, 2018 at 12:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Anti Trans Bathroom Law Proganada is Kind Of Misandrist Amarok 30 3518 March 7, 2018 at 11:03 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet