Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 10:16 pm

Poll: Should Pit Bulls be killed?
This poll is closed.
yes
12.50%
2 12.50%
no
87.50%
14 87.50%
Total 16 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I can't believe this is happening!!
RE: I can't believe this is happening!!
Quote:The bread in general is sweet and lovable. It's human's that make them vicious.

See below on ACTUARIAL RISK.

Some dogs were actually bred for their aggressive qualities. That includes pit Bull Terrriers. Pit Bulls are not vicious in that they will not USUALLY simply attack some one,but hey have been known too.

Dogs are by nature scavengers, opportunistic predators and are responsive animals. NONE are "sweet and lovable".That is a human projection called 'anthropomorphism'.

Quote:Anthropomorphism is the attribution of human characteristics to non-human creatures and beings, phenomena, material states and objects or abstract concepts.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism

My dog? I have two; Mimi is a geriatric toy poodle X terrier,far too smart, with a nasty disposition. Shadow is a Pit Bull, dumb as stump, very affectionate very strong and very protective. I got him as a pet and a protector. Someone breaks into my house, that person loses an appendage.

I make no apologies: We're not allowed to own firearms. I'm an older man in poor health,physically unable to defend myself..I live alone in a high crime area. Everyone around here knows I have Shadow. Before him I had a German Shepherd.

Wiki

Quote:American Pit Bull Terrier

The American Pit Bull Terrier is the product of interbreeding between terriers and a now-extinct breed of bulldogs to produce a dog that combined the gameness of the terrier with the strength and athleticism of the bulldog. These dogs were initially bred in England, Ireland, and Scotland, and arrived in the United States with immigrants from these countries. In the United States these dogs were used as catch dogs for semi-wild cattle and hogs, to hunt, to drive livestock, and as family companions;[1] however, some were selectively bred for their fighting prowess,[2] and starting in the early 20th century they began to replace the bull terrier as the "dog of choice" for dog fighting in the United States.[3]

Quote:Clifton report (2008)

Mr. Merritt Clifton, editor of Animal People News,[25] has compiled from press reports a log of dog attack deaths and severe bites in the United States and Canada from September 1982 through January 1, 2008. The study methodology counted attacks "by dogs of clearly identified breed type or ancestry, as designated by animal control officers or others with evident expertise, [that] have been kept as pets." Mr. Clifton acknowledges that the log "is by no means a complete list of fatal or otherwise serious dog attacks" since it excludes "dogs whose breed type may be uncertain, … attacks by police dogs, guard dogs, and dogs trained specifically to fight…"

The study found reports of 264 people killed by dogs over the 24-year period, of which "pit bull terrier" or mixes thereof were reportedly responsible for killing 137, or about 43 percent, of the 314 people killed by dogs in the attacks identified in the study. The breed with the next-highest number of attributed fatalities was the Rottweiler and mixes thereof, with 67 fatalities or about 21 percent of the study-identified fatalities; in aggregate, pit bulls, rottweilers, and mixes thereof were involved in about 64% of the study-identified fatalities."[26]

In the 2006 edition of his report, Mr. Clifton concluded

"Temperament is not the issue, nor is it even relevant. What is relevant is actuarial risk. If almost any other dog has a bad moment, someone may get bitten, but will not be maimed for life or killed, and the actuarial risk is accordingly reasonable. If a pit bull terrier…has a bad moment, often someone is maimed or killed--and that has now created off-the-chart actuarial risk, for which the dogs as well as their victims are paying the price."[27]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pit_Bull

PS: Your dog is the dead spit for my Shadow.

Messages In This Thread
I can't believe this is happening!! - by Amphora - October 11, 2009 at 3:16 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Rob - October 11, 2009 at 3:48 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Meatball - October 11, 2009 at 4:31 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Falhalterra - October 11, 2009 at 5:57 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Amphora - October 11, 2009 at 8:49 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Tiberius - October 11, 2009 at 6:53 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Eilonnwy - October 12, 2009 at 10:02 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by padraic - October 12, 2009 at 10:29 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Amphora - October 13, 2009 at 2:46 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Eilonnwy - October 13, 2009 at 3:52 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Violet - October 13, 2009 at 3:48 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Amphora - October 13, 2009 at 4:23 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Rhizomorph13 - October 13, 2009 at 9:20 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by binny - October 14, 2009 at 11:48 am
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by Violet - October 14, 2009 at 12:35 pm
RE: I can't believe this is happening!! - by binny - October 14, 2009 at 1:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I can't believe this. Little Bit 7 743 January 1, 2022 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Some Strange Things Are Happening To Astronauts Returning To Earth [fixed video] Gooders1002 4 1617 March 12, 2013 at 4:03 pm
Last Post: Gooders1002