Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 25, 2024, 8:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do atheists even need an objective moral system?
RE: Do atheists even need an objective moral system?
(December 31, 2012 at 6:02 pm)Mister Agenda Wrote:
(December 31, 2012 at 4:24 pm)Mark 13:13 Wrote: wow what a long thread and will take me time to read it; and yes teaearlgreyhot your point of view seems to me the ultimate logical outcome of the good/evil question if we take God out of the question. But i will need to read the full tread before i can comment further. The question would of course arise of what sort of society do we become if we all follow this code. ( or maybe are as although many profess religion myself included how many really live up to it)

Having God in the equation still doesn't make morality objective. Intuitively I think some aspects of morality ARE objective, we seem to be able to agree that using a live human baby as a hockey puck for the fun of it would be wrong, and I think agreement on extreme cases points to something, but I don't see that as proof. So I'm not someone who denies there's such a thing as objective morality, but recognizes that God (it's good because God says it's good) doesn't provide a solution to the problem. It being subjective to someone else doesn't make it objective to you, God doesn't solve that problem any more than basing your morality off of what Jeb Bush says would.

I suppose it doesn't from a practical point of view when we then would need to have a clear consensus on what Gods opinion was and even then we would have to technically prove was God moral. But as someone else suggested you don't need proof for action and if God exists as I believe Him ( convention and from here in I wont keep qualifying it)
then God would be free to act as He wished and stop the action of others as He wished and because there would be no one more powerful then the Subjective morality of God would become the only morality permitted a place in the Universe any other would only be on licence from God.

But I think the best response to the Morality question for Atheist would be to debate the issue around is there any such thing as an objective morality and is it seperate from GOD. I won't take that line further so as to allow you guys to do some of the work on it Cool Shades

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do atheists even need an objective moral system? - by Mark 13:13 - January 5, 2013 at 5:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8417 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Moral universalism and theism Interaktive 20 1951 May 6, 2022 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  why do people still have faith in god even after seeing their land turned into dust? zempo 8 1497 June 20, 2021 at 8:16 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  [Not Even A Little Bit Serious] Why AREN'T You An Atheist? BrianSoddingBoru4 28 3581 December 28, 2019 at 12:48 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  No Financial Inclusion Today! No Financial Inclusion Tomarrah! Or For Eternity, Even mascale 21 2200 August 12, 2019 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2230 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Objective/subjective morals Jazzyj7 61 4742 February 19, 2018 at 9:20 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Religion stifles Moral Evolution Cecelia 107 15986 December 4, 2017 at 2:37 pm
Last Post: Astreja
  Does religion expose the shortcomings of empathy based moral systems henryp 19 2532 December 2, 2017 at 7:54 pm
Last Post: henryp
  Objective morality as a proper basic belief Little Henry 609 162657 July 29, 2017 at 1:02 am
Last Post: Astonished