Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 6:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
apparently atheist agnostic is contradictory
RE: apparently atheist agnostic is contradictory
(May 1, 2013 at 6:58 pm)missluckie26 Wrote: 5 people now friends or family say its impossible to be both. Still.
Their question: if you don't know if there isn't a god, how can you say you don't believe if you don't know?

You could explain it in terms of something else. Aliens for example. I believe there are probably some other living things outside of our own planet somewhere. But I can't know for sure yet. Its kind of in reverse but getting the religious to do thought experiments is even tougher if you use other gods or magical things as examples.

Stick dragons in I guess. I don't think dragons exist. But I can't be sure they aren't hiding in Merlins cave.

I never use the label agnostic just because I'm not sure of anything so it seems rather pointless. Plus you end up with the extra hassle.

Now I thought of loads! Quite fun thinking of them all to be honest.

I believe my shoe's are tied. But I don't know unless I look!

Messages In This Thread
RE: apparently atheist agnostic is contradictory - by Nine - May 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why I'm identifying as agnostic... Aractus 29 5375 July 31, 2014 at 2:46 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Mormon --> Agnostic --> Atheist Blanca 27 8538 March 11, 2012 at 9:16 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger