Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 5:05 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?
RE: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?
The only person who thought of Jesus' death on the cross as a sacrifice at the time it was being done was Jesus himself.
To the rest, it was either brutal murder or punishment for a heretic.
Nobody strapped Jesus to a cross for their sins to be forgiven.
Jesus willingly sacrificed himself (notice how the word 'sacrifice' is being used in another sense here) for the good of mankind. It was not forced from him by either God or man.

(June 2, 2013 at 9:58 pm)Rhythm Wrote:
(June 2, 2013 at 9:51 pm)Consilius Wrote: God voluntarily took on the penalty for sin as Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ wasn't killed by God the Father, the people he was saving from death killed him, and unknowingly caused the events that brought them their own salvation.
More pious prattle? I still don't see any evidence that any jesus ever did anything. Your just-so stories about who and why (and lacking a how) don't have the power to change this narrative from being one of scapegoating.

You, as an atheist, don't believe Jesus existed because you see no historical evidence for his existence. I, as a Christian, believe Jesus existed because I do see historical evidence for his existence. Battle that one out somewhere else. http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tUB5fDW5xq8
Quote:My point exactly. In the same way, God couldn't let the sin just dissipate into the air. It had to be done away with, and someone had to pay for it.
God provided the bail for the people who had offended him.
Lets add that to the long list of things your god can't do then? The manner of payment is precisely what I take issue with in this fairy tale.
[/quote]
Can the President send the U.S. Army after Republicans? I'm not saying that God cannot fashion some other means of saving mankind. What I AM saying is that forgetting the injustices of everybody would be immoral. God wouldn't be worth worshipping if he just let some of our sins slide.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you? - by Consilius - June 2, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1436 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 557 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1329 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1754 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 2022 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  Would They Die for a Lie? YahwehIsTheWay 95 13766 December 27, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10777 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12704 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 21519 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Christian Teacher writes letter to school newspaper saying "Gays deserve to die" Divinity 68 18926 May 23, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus