Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 5:01 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?
RE: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you?
(June 5, 2013 at 2:37 am)max-greece Wrote: First post other than my introduction to the forum....here goes:

I find the story of Jesus dying on the cross to save everyone from there sins somewhat confusing particularly in the light of the concepts of Hell and Purgatory.

Several issues:

1. It is disconcerting to me that someone else is paying my bill without me asking him to and then expects worship in return.

Would you have even known you needed someone else to pay for your sins if it wasn't for the Bible, that is if you care anything about knowing. I bet if someone payed off all your bills for the rest of your life you would not be disconcerted, you would be like me, dancing in the streets.

max-g Wrote:2. If Jesus died for my sins doesn't that mean that they are fully paid for? What is confession is that is the case? What is Purgatory? Any sin has already been paid for - I am not used to the idea of paying a bill that has already been paid. How many times does one sin have to be paid for in Christianity?

They are fully paid for as long as you accept Christ as your Lord and savior. You must confess your sin to Christ and be repentant of those sins. There is no Purgatory, that is a Catholic doctrine, I find no Biblical support for it. Your sins will be paid for once By Christ as long as you accept Him as your Lord and Savior, they will be scattered as far as the east is from the west, never to be seen by the Father.

max-g Wrote:3. Generally the picture of Jesus on the cross generates pity in me for him. Not only nailed to a cross but carrying the sins of the world on his shoulders. It makes me immediately want to opt out so that at least he is not carrying my sins - I am happy to do that on my own and face the consequences. If I could do that wouldn't it reduce his load? Wouldn't that be the Christian thing to do?

It would not reduce the burden He suffered, it has been done, He died with your sins on His shoulders, if He had not then your sin would have remained an you would of had no choice in your eternal destination. Do you really understand what the consequences of your sins are, I would not think so or you would not have made that statement. If and I say if you meant it bothered you to see Christ on the cross, then it should really bother you to think of spending one second in hell, let lone eternally. No it would not be the Christian thing to do, actually you would be doing exactly what Satan desires.

Welcome to the forum max-greece, hope you enjoy your stay.
God loves those who believe and those who do not and the same goes for me, you have no choice in this matter. That puts the matter of total free will to rest.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Is it egotistical to think that a God would die for you? - by Godschild - June 5, 2013 at 7:49 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where does the belief that seeds die before they turn into a living plant come from? FlatAssembler 17 1401 August 3, 2023 at 10:38 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 554 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1324 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Who the Hell does God think he is?? Drich 13 1743 March 6, 2020 at 12:15 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Who Do You Think Is The Best Christian Of Our Times? BrianSoddingBoru4 14 1995 January 22, 2019 at 11:53 am
Last Post: Drich
  Would They Die for a Lie? YahwehIsTheWay 95 13625 December 27, 2018 at 11:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists - I want to know what you think LadyForCamus 77 10688 May 14, 2018 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  On this world if humans ceased to exist would god cease to exist? brewer 58 12667 November 24, 2017 at 3:17 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Hi, I would like to tell you about Jesus Christ, the only way to God JacquelineDeane55 78 21440 June 10, 2017 at 9:46 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Christian Teacher writes letter to school newspaper saying "Gays deserve to die" Divinity 68 18867 May 23, 2017 at 9:01 am
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus