Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 6:03 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Limits on speech on this forum
Limits on speech on this forum
Hey all,

As a new member of this forum I have a question regarding the boundaries of what is tolerated here. This may turn out to be a long post and I sincerely apologize for that now.

I have read the Rules and browsed ten pages of this heading and was unable to find exactly what I was looking for. I came to AF in the hopes of finding a forum that is moderated judiciously and pragmatically.

I am all for free speech however yelling fire in a crowded theatre has never been protected. I am for these types of limits.

Recently you have seen a group of new members show up here that obviously already knew each other. This exodus from another atheist forum stems from a disagreement on this very topic. I want to bring this issue up before I find myself in the same situation I found myself in over there, very attached to a great number of people, yet having to make the difficult choice of parting ways because of a deep difference on what is acceptable to me and what crosses the proverbial line in my estimation.

As I am new I do not know the history of this forum or if this topic has been previously discussed and if I simply missed the explanations. With this in mind I ask for your indulgence.

My specific questions of what is or is not tolerated here are the following:

1) A direct threat
2) Implied threat
3) General threat
4) Speech inciting violence, direct or indirect
5) Hate speech
6) Speech promoting illegal acts
7) Speech soliciting to recruit for illegal acts

I know it is difficult to simply answer yes or no without specifics but a general understanding of the forums position on any and all of these would be greatly appreciated. I'm also willing to discuss specific examples if you all think that would help clarify.

Thank you all in advance.

FC
"Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.” ~ Ambrose Bierce

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man's reasoning powers are not above the monkey's." - Mark Twain in Eruption

Messages In This Thread
Limits on speech on this forum - by Full Circle - July 11, 2013 at 4:25 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Tiberius - July 11, 2013 at 4:34 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Full Circle - July 11, 2013 at 4:47 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Cyberman - July 11, 2013 at 4:59 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Jackalope - July 11, 2013 at 5:06 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Tiberius - July 11, 2013 at 5:55 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Minimalist - July 11, 2013 at 4:49 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by pocaracas - July 12, 2013 at 6:31 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Chas - July 11, 2013 at 4:57 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Full Circle - July 11, 2013 at 6:30 pm
RE: Limits on speech on this forum - by Minimalist - July 12, 2013 at 8:04 pm