Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible?
(February 23, 2014 at 9:28 pm)discipulus Wrote: Your point assumes that God specifically revealed Himself only to the Israelites and never to anyone else.

Yep, because if god revealed himself to anyone else, it would have been front page news, that when these christians finally got to another country, they found that christianity was already there and established. That would be a huge point in the religion's favor, and yet we never see that; what we see are distinct, wildly differing religions all across the world, and never once do we find two matching up at all.

So it's not an assumption that god never revealed himself to anyone else, it's a simple historical observation. The only other alternative was that god revealed himself to another region, but lied to them so they didn't end up with the same religion as the Israelites.

Quote:The Bible never states this and even if it did, you fail to take into account that God has never ceased revealing Himself to them that seek Him.

I have other sources than the bible, and "revealing himself to those that seek him," just means revealing himself to christians, apparently, since those seeking gods from areas where other religions are prevalent never found the christian god until missionaries got there and taught them about him, strangely enough. Thinking

Quote:That is why according to the Pew Forum on Religion and Public Life, in 2010 there were 2.18 billion Christians around the world, nearly a third of the global population.

So much for Him only revealing Himself to one group of people! Confused Fall

If you can't see a distinction between a real, extant god revealing himself to people, and other people who believe in this god revealing it to them, then that's your problem. But I don't see you taking converts to Islam as evidence that Allah is revealing himself to people, probably for the same reason I don't take christian converts as that.

Quote:The scriptures state that everyone that has ever existed has had knowledge of God through what has been made so that they are without excuse.

The scriptures were wrong. Dodgy

Quote: Just because you are of the opinion that God could have cultivated His message more effectively in no way leads us to the conclusion that God does not exist. This is simply a non-sequitur.

I never said it did. However, the geographically limited spread of christianity certainly gives more weight to the possibility that it was just made up by a single tribe of people and spread gradually, rather than being the word of an all knowing god who wants his message spread effectively.

It's like if I had a budget to buy network television time all across the world to spread a message I wanted to spread, but instead I just distributed leaflets to a single neighborhood; would you say I was taking the most effective course of action for my stated goal of propagating my message to everyone, there?

Quote:Now if you have some type of argument you want to present then I am willing to interact with it. Merely stating your opinion in no way counts as a sound argument.

Given that you've failed to understand my argument at all, attempting to reduce it to just an opinion is fairly pathetic. Dodgy

Quote:Once again, this is your opinion. If you have some type of argument you would like to present then I am willing to interact with it.

Oh, fuck off with that; it's not an opinion it's common fucking sense. If I had as my goal the spread of a message to everyone on the planet- because I love them and want them all to know it- and I had the power to appear to every nation of the world in the form that god did to the Israelites, would it or would it not be more effective of me to appear everywhere at once, clearly and concisely making my point, than to appear to one group of people and then wait for them to spread my message via Chinese fucking whispers?

It's simple math, dude: if one appearance of Jesus and so on was enough to start a religion, would not two appearances enhance the strength of the message? Is two a bigger number than one, or a smaller number?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Messages In This Thread
Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by catman - February 15, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 17, 2014 at 10:18 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Esquilax - February 24, 2014 at 1:10 am
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 10:07 pm
RE: Why are other civilizations ignored in the Bible? - by Lek - February 21, 2014 at 11:34 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why are Paul's writings in the Bible? Fake Messiah 122 6991 October 8, 2023 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Without citing the bible, what marks the bible as the one book with God's message? Whateverist 143 44902 March 31, 2022 at 7:05 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  Other burning bush Fake Messiah 12 1746 May 13, 2021 at 8:58 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Birmingham Archdiocese 'ignored abuse to protect reputation' zebo-the-fat 6 1273 June 21, 2019 at 1:45 pm
Last Post: squidfetish
  Why believe the bible? Angrboda 286 38504 July 22, 2018 at 10:00 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  Josephus and other contemporaries on Jesus JairCrawford 271 35050 July 14, 2018 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The other problems with Noahs ark dyresand 27 5219 April 7, 2017 at 7:40 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Christian Hell vs. Other Hells? TrueChristian 17 4865 January 13, 2016 at 12:59 am
Last Post: green.joel2
  Why Christians can't respect other's opinion? rado84 83 15070 July 15, 2015 at 3:40 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  life on other planets drfuzzy 26 5850 July 6, 2015 at 6:33 pm
Last Post: Iroscato