Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 9:09 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What is the function of religion?
RE: What is the function of religion?
(May 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm)Hegel Wrote:
(May 16, 2014 at 4:33 am)Zidneya Wrote: And if you hadn't started to defend your point instead of hearing what atheists have to say and learn from it I would believed you.

So I should not defend my opinion of religion? That's pure nonsense.
The problem is that you have not grasped what I asked: I am talking about scientific understanding of religion as a phenomenon of nature. My standpoint is totally atheist: religion as social, natural, psychological phenomenon, and how to understand it as such. Get it?

So I should not defend my opinion of religion?
Your not gonna like my answer but hey you asked. [Image: hehe-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
Actually thats the whole point of my speech. Questions.

What if someone ask me to see what people think about a specific topic(that I don't like). So I go by the streets to interview everyone who agrees to answer my questions to see what people thinks. Or I make a online poll or quiz(the point is that nevertheless the method I choose, I end up asking people questions about what they think).
And then [Image: expulsion-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
I start defending a statements just because I don't like peoples answers. The ones that I like I don't say anything but the ones who's answer I don't like I start refuting them again and again to see if they can change their mind. A'm I respecting people opinion by doing that? Can I really tell myself or others that I wan't to know what they think?
Because the whole point of asking someone something isn't to show them what I think is right. I'm asking questions to see what THEY think is right.

Quote:So I should not defend my opinion of religion?
So NO [Image: pointing-onion-head-emoticon.gif]
Look if you want to defend your opinion of religion I have a crazy idea. Why don't you say that in the first place?
Start a thread when you say Listen I think "this", and I think religion is "this", and I think that because of "this." And I would like to discuss it with you guys.

But no what you did is:
Listen I read all this people. And I find silly so I'm gonna ask you this questions but hey hey wait a minute be ready because I'm gonna defend myself again and again. This isn't of me to see what you say on the other hand listen to me. You are gonna back up your word with statements well even better because I would have more to refute.

That's not asking thats bragging pal don't tell me otherwise. [Image: yawn-onion-head-emoticon.gif]

I made a thread here a couple of days ago asking whats the difference between a cult and a religion? Because to me there was no difference and I said that from the beginning.
And then there was this guy called "FreeTony" who said different. And I explained him why I disagree with him and in the end I said to him: I think we will agree that we disagree.
And then there was "psychoslice" he also disagree with me so I showed him a couple of videos of purity balls and discrimination. To see if I could make him see my point but he didn't so in the end I told him. Okay pal if you are still gonna maintain your word okay so be it. And even when others started to question him again and again I left him alone because I asked, he decide to respond, we may think that the other is wrong but each one has the right to say what they want and I have to respect that. Later if I want to debate with him I can contact him anytime I want I tell him that.

See for yourself.
http://atheistforums.org/thread-26013-page-3.html

I wasn't defending my opinion of religion so they can agree with me I did it to see what they think. And it turns out that most of them agreed at some level with me.
The only one I kept arguing was "Last Things" because he said that I shouldn't take in consideration the answers that the other atheists gave me. Who the hell is he to say which thoughts should and shouldn't be taken in count IN MY THREAD [Image: bsod-onion-head-emoticon.gif].

So don't give me the " My standpoint is totally atheist: religion as social, natural, psychological phenomenon, and how to understand it as such."

Because you already admited that you want to to convert "New Atheists" into atheists of different order/type. That's your point with your own words. So don't try to convince me otherwise.

Messages In This Thread
What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 14, 2014 at 8:19 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 14, 2014 at 10:22 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Bad Wolf - May 14, 2014 at 11:24 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Bad Wolf - May 14, 2014 at 9:15 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Foxaèr - May 14, 2014 at 9:48 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Whateverist - May 14, 2014 at 10:37 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Confused Ape - May 14, 2014 at 11:26 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Anomalocaris - May 14, 2014 at 12:17 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 15, 2014 at 3:42 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 16, 2014 at 7:31 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Ryantology - May 16, 2014 at 7:21 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 16, 2014 at 7:41 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Ryantology - May 16, 2014 at 11:27 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 17, 2014 at 1:16 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Angrboda - May 14, 2014 at 2:54 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by archangle - May 14, 2014 at 8:25 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 15, 2014 at 10:35 pm
What is the function of religion? - by Rampant.A.I. - May 14, 2014 at 8:59 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 14, 2014 at 9:12 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 15, 2014 at 3:47 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Cato - May 15, 2014 at 3:51 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 15, 2014 at 4:01 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 15, 2014 at 5:53 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 16, 2014 at 12:55 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 16, 2014 at 1:49 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 16, 2014 at 4:33 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Hegel - May 16, 2014 at 5:57 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Zidneya - May 16, 2014 at 11:10 pm
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Last Things - May 16, 2014 at 12:22 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Bob Kelso - May 16, 2014 at 5:19 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by Mr Greene - May 16, 2014 at 10:15 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by archangle - May 16, 2014 at 11:53 am
RE: What is the function of religion? - by paulpablo - May 17, 2014 at 2:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 11115 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 5011 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 20095 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 50860 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5266 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused