Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 4:16 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fairly new and hoping for advice and help
RE: Fairly new and hoping for advice and help
I was partially motivated to begin my search for answers of how reliable the bible was when I fell in love with somebody of the same gender and realized how painful it was for us to both have to force ourselves to be apart because of our beliefs. I decided, for him, that I would do my absolute best, despite my actual bias TOWARD theistic belief, to try to take an unbiased look at both sides of the issue.

Being told that you're going to burn in hell every day because you're gay is not exactly good for the soul, but nevertheless I tried to understand why God would punish me that way. I would even dare to say that I do understand the answer, at least somewhat. I decided that if my search led me to seeing faith as true in the end, I would grit my teeth and live life without the love of my life. I decided that if it wasn't true, I would finally tell him that I want to be with him for life. You might say that in that case I'm already biased. It's true that I'm biased toward the person I love, but I'm also biased toward NOT burning in hell for eternity. Overall, I'm very confused. I try to deal with these things logically, but I'm only 20, and I'm a social work major in college with only a basic understanding of science. This whole thing has been very stressful at times, trying to be completely unbiased and weigh all these arguments and data while he's on the other end of Skype telling me how much he loves me, and my Rabbi is on facebook telling me I'm doomed to hell if I don't get rid of these feelings.

By the way GC, I mentioned Dawkins because he was the first to really make me doubt, but I've also been listening to debates online almost every day, have been reading stuff on the historicity and inerrency of the bible, such as Dr. Bart Ehrman and Richard Carrier, have bought "The Origin of Species" as well as Michael Behe's "Darwin's Black Box," and intend on buying every book I can snatch up about both sides of the issue.

Messages In This Thread
Fairly new and hoping for advice and help - by potch - May 16, 2014 at 4:46 pm
RE: Fairly new and hoping for advice and help - by potch - May 17, 2014 at 10:16 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  new atheist need advice afrist34 41 2958 July 14, 2016 at 1:05 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Need Advice w/ Christian Friend DeadChannel 23 5378 August 8, 2015 at 9:29 am
Last Post: Dystopia
  Miley Cyrus says something fairly coherent. Spooky 11 3066 June 15, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  New Athiest Needs Help OhWord 112 20300 June 16, 2014 at 8:50 pm
Last Post: Ravenshire
  Much needed advice. I need more atheist friends. dangSHAYNAdang 32 6014 January 6, 2014 at 1:13 am
Last Post: dangSHAYNAdang
  Encouragement and Advice themonkeyman 17 3851 August 13, 2013 at 5:29 am
Last Post: NoraBrimstone
  Bad Christian advice for dating, marriage, etc RichardP 10 5897 January 9, 2013 at 1:43 am
Last Post: Gilgamesh