Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 2, 2024, 9:45 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life.
(May 18, 2014 at 5:05 pm)Lemonvariable72 Wrote: Here is where I'm going to be honest with you. Science has little to do With my position on gods, bryond Some basic facts and the scientific method. Now I have a proposal, let's same for the sake of argument that we both there are God(s) and that they created the universe. How could you demonstrate to me that it was your God, the God described in the Bible and not Brahma, and the other gods described in the Vedas and many texts holy texts of the Hindu's?
lek Wrote:I would point out the superiority of the bible, written over 1,500 years
Your wrong there, the oldest text ascribed we have is dated to between 975-1000 BC. It is also in a language that is older then biblical, and for that reason it has been very difficult to decipher. Infact the three words that are cited in the article are all root words found in archaic biblical Hebrew.
Infact here I will link a paper that very neatly explains the current view among bible scholars on the authorship of the bible
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~mvz/bible/doc-hyp.pdf
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/...ext_2.html
Now we know compilation of the veda was also done by many authors and started in mid 2nd BC and was completed completed between 1500-1000 BC
Quote:, by many different human authors, leading up to Jesus and the fulfilled prophecies therein and so on.
If the bible's prophecies were all fulfilled then explain this
rationalwiki Wrote:Destruction of Tyre

For thus saith the Lord GOD; Behold, I will bring upon Tyrus Nebuchadrezzar king of Babylon, a king of kings, from the north, with horses, and with chariots, and with horsemen, and companies, and much people. He shall slay with the sword thy daughters in the field: and he shall make a fort against thee, and cast a mount against thee, and lift up the buckler against thee. And he shall set engines of war against thy walls, and with his axes he shall break down thy towers. By reason of the abundance of his horses their dust shall cover thee: thy walls shall shake at the noise of the horsemen, and of the wheels, and of the chariots, when he shall enter into thy gates, as men enter into a city wherein is made a breach. With the hoofs of his horses shall he tread down all thy streets: he shall slay thy people by the sword, and thy strong garrisons shall go down to the ground. And they shall make a spoil of thy riches, and make a prey of thy merchandise: and they shall break down thy walls, and destroy thy pleasant houses: and they shall lay thy stones and thy timber and thy dust in the midst of the water. And I will cause the noise of thy songs to cease; and the sound of thy harps shall be no more heard. And I will make thee like the top of a rock: thou shalt be a place to spread nets upon; thou shalt be built no more: for I the LORD have spoken it, saith the Lord GOD. [2]

In this block of text God states quite blatantly that Nebuchadnezzar would sack and destroy completely the city of Tyre. However the events given in this passage never did come to pass. After a 13 year siege Nebuchadnezzar withdrew his forces. Despite being conquered and razed (torn down) by Alexander the Great 240 years later, [3] Tyre still exists

Quote: I believe if you open up to God he will lead you to Jesus.
Evidence comes before belief, and a all-loving omnipotent would understand this.
Hell here I'd like to quote thomas jefferson because he put it a lot better then I can
Thomas Jefferso Wrote:Fix reason firmly in her seat, and call to her tribunal every fact, every opinion. Question with boldness even the existence of a God; because, if there be one, he must more approve of the homage of reason, than that of blindfolded fear.
Read more at http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/quotes...ElVHsbI.99
Quote: When it comes down to it you have to make your own decision based on faith.
There's no scientific method for deciding whether or not to believe in God.
First to clear up any ambiguity lets see how the bible defines faith
hebrews 11:1 Wrote:New American Standard Bible
Now faith is the assurance of things hoped for, the conviction of things not seen.
Now for context the book of hebrews is paul addressing the jews regarding jesus and matters of faith.
Given that definition as defined by the second most important figure in Christianity, you can use faith justify any believe you want to hold. That includes any religious inclination be it hindu, pagan, scientology, or even that wretched mess called islam. Man of these people will also claim a relationship with said deity, and you can't do a damn thing to prove their wrong and your right because you accept your religion on the exact same criteria. Furthermore most of these religions are demonstrably false in much the same way your personal favorite is. To boot not a single one of them has met any reasonable burden of proof. That said again the hindu's came a lot closer with the milk drinking miracles then christianity ever has.

This one has any christian miracle beat as it actually happened, and was covered by credible news networks. I
To-morrow, and to-morrow, and to-morrow,
Creeps in this petty pace from day to day,
To the last syllable of recorded time;
And all our yesterdays have lighted fools
The way to dusty death. Out, out, brief candle!
Life's but a walking shadow, a poor player,
That struts and frets his hour upon the stage,
And then is heard no more. It is a tale
Told by an idiot, full of sound and fury,
Signifying nothing.

Messages In This Thread
Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Brakeman - April 16, 2014 at 7:30 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - April 18, 2014 at 9:52 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Tonus - April 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 10, 2014 at 11:47 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 17, 2014 at 11:35 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Ksa - May 13, 2014 at 12:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 10, 2014 at 12:29 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 11, 2014 at 10:58 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 11:51 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 12:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 18, 2014 at 11:46 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 20, 2014 at 12:47 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lemonvariable72 - May 18, 2014 at 11:28 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 20, 2014 at 12:27 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 28, 2014 at 11:50 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - May 28, 2014 at 11:09 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 10:19 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 10:57 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 3, 2014 at 11:19 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 8, 2014 at 11:39 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 9, 2014 at 10:36 am
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:00 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:20 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 2:06 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 2:11 pm
RE: Christian "purpose" and "meaning" in life. - by Lek - June 10, 2014 at 12:05 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Brick If everything has a purpose then evil doesn't exist zwanzig 738 42533 June 28, 2023 at 10:48 am
Last Post: emjay
  How can a Christian reject part of the Bible and still call themselves a Christian? KUSA 371 90924 May 3, 2020 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Paleophyte
  The serpent, the tree of knowledge of good and evil, and the tree of life. Newtonscat 48 11866 February 4, 2015 at 7:25 am
Last Post: Homeless Nutter
  Yet more christian logic: christian sues for not being given a job she refuses to do. Esquilax 21 7568 July 20, 2014 at 2:48 pm
Last Post: ThomM
  you have to have faith..and there's a purpose k2490 16 5948 June 1, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  A club exists at my school for the purpose of evangelizing students Marnie 84 34898 May 11, 2013 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: catfish
  The Meaning of Pain & Suffering? ronedee 12 3206 March 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Relationships - Christian and non-Christian way Ciel_Rouge 6 6388 August 21, 2012 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  The meaning of "woman" in Galations 4:4 Barre 7 3364 December 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused
  Regarding the meaning of adelphos in Galations 1:19 Barre 8 2752 December 10, 2011 at 4:44 am
Last Post: Barre