Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 4:04 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department
RE: The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department
Quote:Because suppressing those ideologies drives them underground, while addressing them in the marketplace of ideas lets everyone see exactly how wrong they are.

"Sunlight is the best disinfectant", and so on.

Besides, by outlawing this stuff, you make it impossible to see the dumbfucks quickly. 'Tis better to have them announcing themselves, it seems to me.
What if I told you that there are people from the old regime that still like fascism, and letting these ideas be promoted freely could drive the majority of the population in support of fascism? Better not take chances. They can be underground and discuss their ideas all they want, but they won't have a chance doing it publicly. Sure you have a point when you say we could expose the dumbfucks, but what if our (ignorant) population liked these dumbfucks? What would we do now?

Quote:The idea that what you say harms me in the absence of action on your part is highly debateable.

I pprefer freedom of thought and trust myself to winnow out the assholes, rather than trusting the government to not abuse such sweeping authority.
It's your opinion... By the way, freedom of thought is absolute, my professor said well that we could all be fascists on the inside, we can even declare we are fascists in public, we simply can't promote by showing a positive side of it, I'd rather have things like this. And about the absence of action, promoting something is an action, the action of promoting. Absence of action being punishable would be if someone was sentenced to jail for being merely a fascist, only with an action can you get punished, that's the most basic requirement of the system, and propaganda is an action, whether it is trough speech, headlines or papers. This is not the only promotion crime, there is also crimes of promotion of suicide, promotion of murder (telling people to murder others), promotion of hatred against races (saying people blacks are inferior and incentive of violence)

You can think individual liberties should prevail all day long, but if you talked with someone who was arrested and tortured for being a protester against the fascist regime, they'd tell you clearly this prohibition is a requirement. Let alone the German case of nazism they took it very far indeed, maybe too far.
Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you

Messages In This Thread
RE: The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department - by Dystopia - July 12, 2014 at 9:25 am
RE: The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department - by Losty - July 13, 2014 at 10:20 pm
RE: The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department - by Losty - July 13, 2014 at 10:34 pm
RE: The You Can't Make This Shit Up Department - by Losty - July 13, 2014 at 10:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can Anyone Make Any Sense of These Trump Propaganda Brochures? Prof.Lunaphiles 2 371 April 21, 2020 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: brewer
  [Serious] Can you sew? Can you save a life? Gawdzilla Sama 30 2821 April 5, 2020 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  [Serious] America can you pls stop meddling in countries you have no busienss in. Cepheus Ace 44 2704 March 26, 2019 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  AGW protesters glue themselves to gov energy department (UK) Duty 24 2425 February 17, 2019 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: Duty
  Fucking Catholic Sacks of Shit Minimalist 0 453 October 28, 2018 at 9:39 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  The Lying Sack of Shit Keeps Lying Minimalist 16 1383 October 28, 2018 at 8:41 pm
  No Shit, Sherlock! Minimalist 0 391 August 3, 2018 at 11:51 am
  That's What You Get For Being Spineless Sacks of Shit Minimalist 5 692 June 20, 2018 at 4:00 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Whoops. Anyone Can Make A Mistake Minimalist 4 913 May 8, 2018 at 7:29 pm
  Franklin Graham Loses His Shit After Wisconsin Defeat Minimalist 9 1643 April 6, 2018 at 7:25 pm
Last Post: rskovride