Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 3:15 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
After I know this how could I leave the church?
RE: After I know this how could I leave the church?
(August 13, 2014 at 8:30 am)sophonian Wrote: I know that you are going to laugh.

No doubt.

Quote: I only hope an explanation for this.
Explanation = iron-age mythology believed by people who should know better.

Quote:I would like to think that these facts were not true.

What "facts"?

Quote:I was more happy when i was not a christian.

It's never too late to give up bullshit belief for reality.

Quote:Tertullian was a roman lawyer that becomecome a christian. He had access to roman documents and made some declarations about 1st century A.D like this:

Quote:Tiberius6 accordingly, in whose days the Christian name made its entry into the world, having himself received intelligence from Palestine of events which had clearly shown the truth of Christ's divinity, brought the matter before the senate, with his own decision in favour of Christ. The senate, because it had not given the approval itself, rejected his proposal. Caesar held to his opinion, threatening wrath against all accusers of the Christians. [3] Consult your histories; you will there find that Nero was the first who assailed with the imperial sword the Christian sect, making profess then especially at Rome.
Considering he was born in 160AD, that would be the 2nd century and he lived well into the 3rd century. Where are these alleged records? No doubt destroyed. How convenient. And Tertullian was an apologist with a bias to promulgate Christianity. Sorry bud. Not compelling. At all.

Quote:The thing that dont let me go from christianity is the fact that he says that in roman documents it is registered that when Jesus died there was a big portent in the sky; so we are not talking about an story recorded only in the gospels.

Quote:He exhibited many notable signs, by which His death was distinguished from all others. At His own free-will, He with a word dismissed from Him His spirit, anticipating the executioner's work. In the same hour, too, the light of day was withdrawn, when the sun at the very time was in his meridian blaze. Those who were not aware that this had been predicted about Christ, no doubt thought it an eclipse. You yourselves have the account of the world-portent still in your archives.

And of course everyone rushed to read this marvelous tale in these "archives", but of course no one did. Other than Christian apologists, writing as far from the event in time as we are from the Civil War. Not compelling. At all.

It is SUCH a pity Christians don't have any contemporaneous writings. It's almost as though it never happened. Sad

Messages In This Thread
RE: After I know this how could I leave the church? - by JesusHChrist - August 13, 2014 at 11:35 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Kenya cult deaths: Four die after suspected starvation plot zebo-the-fat 0 556 April 14, 2023 at 11:15 am
Last Post: zebo-the-fat
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14468 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  7th grader commits suicide after being told that he is going to Hell. Jehanne 12 1579 December 9, 2021 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Church sex abuse: Thousands of paedophiles in French Church zebo-the-fat 8 1298 October 7, 2021 at 1:49 am
Last Post: Rev. Rye
  If you could rid the world... FredTheLobster 33 3626 June 29, 2021 at 11:02 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Christian family fined after arguing taxes 'against God's will' zebo-the-fat 19 2253 July 23, 2019 at 1:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Do my parents fear that I'll leave the faith? Der/die AtheistIn 120 23707 January 14, 2018 at 2:55 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Why did god allow people to be born after the fall ? possibletarian 367 69230 November 24, 2017 at 1:59 am
Last Post: possibletarian
  Could I sue my religion over this? Won2blv 21 3450 October 8, 2017 at 8:18 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Could God's creation be like His omniscience? Whateverist 19 6060 May 18, 2017 at 2:45 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic