Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 14, 2024, 10:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?”
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?”
(September 1, 2014 at 11:25 pm)XK9_Knight Wrote: I’m not asking for arguments, just honest opinions for those who are open to sharing. I noticed within “Disproving Christianity” that David’s main assertion is the argument from nonbelief; basically that it is morally abhorrent that God would send someone to hell that has never had the opportunity to know him. “God is not good, therefore he is not God,” basically. And if I can recall correctly, that there are so many moral stains on Christianity that it’s concept of God couldn’t be true (I’m paraphrasing, it was to that affect though, I’m sure).

So, McAfee seems to (for at least one reason) reject God on the basis of a perceived moral injustice. How do you the rest of you feel towards all this?

Hi Knight.

It's a big topic, but a a few quick personal reflections are....

1) Taking the last point first (on the record of those who profess to follow Christ), I don't hold God responsible for the actions of Christians. The Christian world view is that people do bad things.

2) The objection to God on the basis of a moral objection presupposes some moral standards. Personally I find it easier to understand how moral standards exist from a theistic rather than an atheistic perspective.

3) I don't believe God would damn people to hell without the having sufficient knowledge. But I believe the vast majority of people do know God's will; it's the voice of the conscience, or 'the law written on their hearts' as St. Paul talks of the gentiles having.

4) The problem of evil is often framed in such a way that it assumes God's primary responsibility is to make sure we're always happy. But I think the Judeo-Christian world-view would see that as the equivalent to a parent just wanting their child to be happy regardless of how they are living. Rather, I would say that God wants us to love and be loveable. So I would challenge the very foundation of the 'Epicurean dilemma'.

That's just four very quick thoughts on a very large topic.

On hell specifically, I find this three minute from Tom Wright thoughtful ....

http://youtu.be/vggzqXzEvZ0

Messages In This Thread
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” - by Endo - September 1, 2014 at 11:56 pm
RE: Your personal take on “The Problem of Evil?” - by Michael - September 3, 2014 at 6:05 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2702 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3786 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The "Take it or leave it" Approach Leonardo17 1 337 November 9, 2022 at 2:06 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1982 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 69384 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 53523 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 49044 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4743 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1130 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  My take on regret Mr.Obvious 20 2887 October 20, 2017 at 7:37 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger