Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 4:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
“The Problem of Evil” in atheism and in Islam
RE: “The Problem of Evil” in atheism and in Islam
(February 10, 2015 at 1:27 am)Harris Wrote: Whole Theory of Evolution is standing right upon the idea that living organisms evolved from simpler to complex bodies because of (Mystical) Natural Selection, mutation, replication, etc. Therefore, increase in information content is the most fundamental and most crucial aspect of the theory of evolution. Unfortunately, for this (so-called) scientific belief (information content increased over evolution) scientific evidences are absent.

"Increase in information content" does not make any sense in a biological context. We *interpret* DNA as information while in fact, it's just a chemical which helps catalyze a bunch of reactions in a fuckload of different ways. Those whose DNA can provoke the most useful reactions in the most efficient ways have a higher chance of surviving and thus, of replicating that same DNA.

If, by "information content" you mean the number of base pairs in a genome, there are phenomena like duplications or the insertion of viral DNA that effectively increase the number of bps. Combine those with point mutations, inversions etc. and BOOM, you have a shit ton of possibilities for an organism to develop new genes with entirely new functions and products. Add some 3 billions of years to this kind of process going on (and we have geological evidence for this) and it's no surprise that some pretty complex life form eventually sprung up.

(February 10, 2015 at 1:27 am)Harris Wrote: I never said that communism is atheism. However, I said:

Materialism and atheism are the most fundamental and central tenant of Communism in Marx's manifesto

In the words of Leon Trotsky,

“We are of opinion that Atheism, as an inseparable element of the materialist view of life, is a necessary condition for the theoretical education of the revolutionist."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leon_Trotsky

Atheism was just one of many tactics used by the communist dictators to control the population.

Yeah, while Catholicism was a free choice for all living in Europe during the dark ages. Or like Islam is in Saudi Arabia or in the ISIS-occupied territories today. Nothing like those filthy communist Atheists of the USSR.

(February 10, 2015 at 1:27 am)Harris Wrote: My point remains intact, if according to you atheism is spreading successfully then why after the fall of Soviet Union atheism falls drastically in former Soviet Republics. Another point to note here is that we can find traces of atheism in ancient Greek literature, which is about 2000 years old; it is a long time for the flourishing of any ideology. Question is why atheism has produced only handful of atheists in this immense extent of time. The answer is because atheism is illogical.

Dodgy

You realize that atheism was and still is - in some places like uhh... the majority of muslim countries - punishable by death. I don't know about you, but I would find it quite an incentive to stay quiet about my disbelief.

It's clear that it's wrong to force ANY kind of belief system. The Soviets did that, but I don't think that any atheist around here would agree with the political views of the Soviet Union.

(February 10, 2015 at 1:27 am)Harris Wrote: Atheist dictators forced people to reject religion and accept atheism literally on gunpoint. That was how they made atheism common among people. Only a very small minority adopted atheism by their free will.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/State_atheism

Naturally, when people got freedom they ran back to their houses of worship. In short, atheism (the idea that there is no God) is illogical.

This is pure and simple non-sequitur bullshit. How does the fact that they turned back to their original religion prove that atheism is illogical and not that they were simply *forced* not to worship?
"Every luxury has a deep price. Every indulgence, a cosmic cost. Each fiber of pleasure you experience causes equivalent pain somewhere else. This is the first law of emodynamics [sic]. Joy can be neither created nor destroyed. The balance of happiness is constant.

Fact: Every time you eat a bite of cake, someone gets horsewhipped.

Facter: Every time two people kiss, an orphanage collapses.

Factest: Every time a baby is born, an innocent animal is severely mocked for its physical appearance. Don't be a pleasure hog. Your every smile is a dagger. Happiness is murder.

Vote "yes" on Proposition 1321. Think of some kids. Some kids."

Messages In This Thread
RE: “The Problem of Evil” in atheism and in Islam - by Lucanus - February 10, 2015 at 7:13 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Are cats evil beasts that should be killed to save mice? FlatAssembler 34 2703 November 28, 2022 at 11:41 am
Last Post: Fireball
  does evil exist? Quill01 51 3793 November 15, 2022 at 5:30 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 69545 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  One sentence that throws the problem of evil out of the window. Mystic 473 53537 November 12, 2017 at 7:57 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
  Reasoning showing homosexuality is evil. Mystic 315 49061 October 23, 2017 at 12:34 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  Reasoning showing that heterosexuality is evil I_am_not_mafia 21 4744 October 23, 2017 at 8:23 am
Last Post: ignoramus
Wink Emoticons are Intrinsically Good and Evil Fireball 4 1130 October 21, 2017 at 12:11 am
Last Post: Succubus
  Is knowledge the root of all evil? Won2blv 22 6034 February 18, 2017 at 7:56 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Origin of evil Harris 186 24105 September 12, 2016 at 5:37 am
Last Post: Harris
  Aristotle and Islam chimp3 8 1240 June 29, 2016 at 5:31 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger