Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 3:49 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why Do We Remember things From Our Childhood?
RE: Why Do We Remember things From Our Childhood?
(April 22, 2015 at 3:48 pm)robvalue Wrote: I see, yes that's interesting. I suspect it is often the case, memory is notoriously unreliable. It's weird how much false confidence you can have though in your own memories.

As I understand it, every time you think about a memory it changes. A neural network "stores" information in the strength of the synapses between neurons, and these strengths are continually changing based on the activation levels of neurons. Thinking/imagining something activates the same neurons that would be activated by external input (i.e. reality) but to a much lesser degree. Therefore every time you think about something it is like a toned down version of actually experiencing it. In other words the brain is always learning and updating and it essentially can't tell the difference between reality and thinking.

Messages In This Thread
Why Do We Remember things From Our Childhood? - by KUSA - April 21, 2015 at 11:05 am
RE: Why Do We Remember things From Our Childhood? - by emjay - April 24, 2015 at 5:42 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Why people sometimes see weird things. Jehanne 7 2011 January 16, 2016 at 9:24 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus