Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 9:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament
(May 26, 2015 at 8:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: Do we not agree that there is a legendary or mythical Paul?  You're asking me to demonstrate what you seem to have already agreed to Nestor.
No. We don't agree because you seem to think that if there were later legendary accounts of Paul then that casts doubt on all of the earlier material we possess, all of which strongly suggests that the person who wrote at least half a dozen of the letters was a man who called himself Paul, was intimately acquainted with his readership, lived in the first-century, converted from Pharisaic Judaism to becaming a Christian proselytizer, etc., eventually leading to his status as a Saint. You've presented nothing but one post hoc ergo propter hoc fallacy after another (among others) that could be applied to many figures who gained notoriety in the ancient world. Julius Caesar and Augustus Caesar were also mythologized but it would be ridiculous to assume as a result that every document or artifact containing information about their lives and exploits should be presumed a relic of fraud and fiction. Virgil was deified shortly after his death. Do you automatically presume that every work attributed to Virgil must therefore be part of a "narrative"? Epicurus? The list could go on.
(May 26, 2015 at 8:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: we simply have a disagreement as to how far that legendary/mythical paul extends, where he stops, and where "the real paul" begins...if there is a real paul.
That discussion isn't even possible if you just assume everything presented contains nothing but a "story" presented as authentic epistles and references to an actual person but are *really* part of a single "narrative" analogous to the Screwtape Letters (lol).
(May 26, 2015 at 8:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: I asked you to isolate the most compelling piece of evidence, in your estimation, for a historical Paul. Sure, I may not have found it convincing the first go round, try again.
I did so in the post prior to you responding directly to me... I should think you probably saw it... hence your reply... so go back and read it. I made four separate points. You haven't addressed any of them.
(May 26, 2015 at 8:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: I asked you to pick an epistle (which is ludicrous, btw, as the claim won't prove the claim.....and so that discussion is entirely for the benefit of your own position) so we could consider whether or not those epistles -also- had those legendary and mythological aspects we have both agreed -do exist- in the character of Paul.  
http://www.earlychristianwritings.com
There's seven for you to consider.
(May 26, 2015 at 8:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: You seem to be under the impression that I must demonstrate some counterpoint to you, that I must provide some other compelling explanation or this "Historical Paul" business is credible.
Of course. You think there is a more reasonable explanation for the existence of the Pauline epistles. I've been disappointed thus far in your failure to present any reason or evidence for your silly explanation.
(May 26, 2015 at 8:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: I'm asking questions and advancing a position which has been asked and advanced for as long as people have been searching for the historical Paul...so lets stop pretending that my comments are unserious, shall we?
Do you think any quest for a historical Paul (or Jesus or Clement) starts with the assumption that these figures did not exist? Lol... good luck with historical reconstruction if that's how you approach ancient writings.
(May 26, 2015 at 8:55 am)Rhythm Wrote: Knowing that legend and myth is present in the narrative...(and we both know this, right?).......how have you determined that a specific set of claims is factual, rather than legendary or mythical?
Seriously... I've already stated two ways... twice... let me state them a third time... historiography and higher criticism. Carrier suggests a new approach using Baye's Theorem. I'm not sure of the results when applied to ancient figures besides Jesus but since he does not doubt that Paul was a person who wrote epistles I assume Paul passes that criteria, as he does the others, with flying colors.
He who loves God cannot endeavour that God should love him in return - Baruch Spinoza

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Historical Reliability of the New Testament - by Mudhammam - May 26, 2015 at 3:50 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Did Jesus call the Old Testament God the Devil, a Murderer and the Father of Lies? dude1 51 8941 November 6, 2018 at 12:46 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Old Testament Prophecy Proof of Jesus Nihilist Virus 45 6667 August 12, 2016 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Nihilist Virus
  The Immorality of God - Slavery in the Old Testament athrock 307 37717 January 31, 2016 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Aegon
  Richard Dawkins and the God of the Old Testament Randy Carson 69 17053 October 8, 2015 at 10:51 pm
Last Post: orangedude
  The Utter Irrelevance of the New Testament Whateverist 66 10825 May 24, 2015 at 6:59 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  The Question of the Greek New Testament Rhondazvous 130 22835 May 19, 2015 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Historical Easter Question for Minimalist thesummerqueen 26 7651 April 5, 2015 at 3:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  New Testament arguments urlawyer 185 23037 March 24, 2015 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Reality Salesman01
  Reliability of the creation account robvalue 129 13030 January 20, 2015 at 3:48 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Jews and the old testament Vivalarevolution 40 7221 October 21, 2014 at 5:55 am
Last Post: Vivalarevolution