Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 3:08 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ask a mad and artistic genius
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius
(June 3, 2015 at 11:32 pm)Jenny A Wrote: ...

Here's a nicer question:  Do you think madness and artist genius are related?  I consider myself pretty artistic and I do have a rather distinctive style, but I not Picasso setting off to set the art world on it's ear.  Would it help if I were mad like Van Gogh.  Do I have one ear too many?

I think they are related, but are not necessarily connected.  In order to be an artistic genius, one must be different from most people in the way one thinks.  The same is true of madness (as it is normally understood).  

Not that I have a large enough sample, nor that it is necessarily representative, but most of the very creative people I have known have serious mental problems.  I remember one guy in college whose creativity seemed to be enhanced by his bouts of madness.  I liked him better, though, when he was between such bouts, as he was a bit of an asshole when off his rocker.  

I have only known one truly creative person who isn't crazy, though that individual seems particularly and extremely sane.  But there is insanity in the family, most of whom are not creative (but one is).

So, I don't think you have to be crazy to be artistic, but I do think there is often a correlation.  That is, a high percentage of artists seem to be a bit (or more than just a bit) crazy.  But I don't get the impression that most crazy people are particularly artistic.

"A wise man ... proportions his belief to the evidence."
— David Hume, An Enquiry Concerning Human Understanding, Section X, Part I.

Messages In This Thread
Ask a mad and artistic genius - by Rev. Rye - June 3, 2015 at 10:35 pm
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius - by Jenny A - June 3, 2015 at 11:32 pm
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius - by Pyrrho - June 4, 2015 at 12:45 pm
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius - by ignoramus - June 4, 2015 at 12:40 am
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius - by paulpablo - June 4, 2015 at 1:25 am
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius - by Minimalist - June 4, 2015 at 12:52 pm
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius - by Exian - June 4, 2015 at 1:14 pm
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius - by Iroscato - June 4, 2015 at 1:46 pm
RE: Ask a mad and artistic genius - by Rev. Rye - June 4, 2015 at 2:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ask a theoretical physicist turned teacher, lecturer and author Alex K 85 14392 July 22, 2017 at 5:07 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Ask a Professional Copywriter and Author Shell B 36 6982 November 24, 2016 at 7:13 pm
Last Post: Shell B
  Ask a black girl on Social sercurity and welfare. BrokenQuill92 49 6993 October 4, 2016 at 1:59 pm
Last Post: BrokenQuill92