Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 4:54 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ask a (secular) home schooler
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler
(June 7, 2015 at 2:39 am)whateverist Wrote: Having just taught common core for the first and last time I've got to say I think it is genius.  Absolutely the best approach I've seen for middle school mathematics.  Of course it is a difficult time for the kids who are transitioning midstream from one system to another.  We'd have to be a whole lot more patient than we tend to be in this country to avoid that problem.

My colleagues with younger kids are in love what they see them doing.  The activities seem well chosen for developing real understanding and fluency.

Of course some people will be suspicious of anything different than what they themselves experienced.  But, trust me, there was never a golden age of math instruction that is at risk.  Quite the opposite.

I can see advantages on both sides regarding homeschooling.  Few classroom situations can compete with one on one instruction done well.  It does as you say allow you to cater more to the child's own interests.  I can tell you would be a good one.  My sister in law is an example of how bad it can be.  Best of luck and if you're feeling some butterflies that is probably for the best.  Means you're taking it seriously and are ambitious.
Can I ask you a question then?
Well, a quick statement first.  I do think common core for math is great, I love that kids are learning the concepts behind the math, and not just rote memorization.  I think it's great.
Do you think Khan Academy is a good resource for home schooling, and even classrooms?  I rely a lot on it (not entirely, but a lot), and I know Khan is bringing his site into line with common core, just not sure how well he's done so.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:00 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:09 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:18 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 2:16 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:31 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 2:47 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 3:04 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:23 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:43 am