Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 7:22 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ask a (secular) home schooler
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler
(June 7, 2015 at 2:47 am)rexbeccarox Wrote: I'm so sorry if I'm being overbearing...  I only mean good things, and I won't take it personally if you tell me I'm being too forward Smile
~snip~

Everything I read, I'm more impressed.  Seriously. You've learned to manage your kid's homeschooling around narcolepsy?  Jeezus on a cracker with some goat cheese and sundried tomatoes.
I need to learn to use the quote function here properly.  Huh 

No, you aren't being overbearing, I'm actually feeling really good that so many people are positive about it!  I kind of expected a lot more suspicion and negativity, so all the questions are great. Smile 

I'm no saint or perfect mom or anything, lol.  Narcolepsy is a pain, but with a flexible schedule, I can work around it.  The real challenge there was birth through age 3 or so....narcoleptic with constantly interrupted sleep = near insanity.  I make TONS of mistakes.  I just try and learn from them, and hope I don't screw my kid up too much in the process! lol

Oh, and yeah, if you are 38 and not feeling that clock ticking, then good for you.  I respect people who chose not to have kids, like you.  My husband and I actually made that choice at one point, but failed birth control led to this one thing, and we decided, we could handle one, and I'm glad we did, but I still fear for the future of all our children, you know?
Now we both are fixed, so no more swimmers will be getting anywhere.

Yeah, sometimes I ramble a bit, lol.

Quote:Goosebump
___
Would you prefer if the local school district had somebody on hand that coordinate d with each month about standards, the paperwork and resources the school had or should provide you? As well as having a kind of 'help line" to call when you needed? Or would this be to intrusive?
I don't know, I've only been doing this for about 6 months.  Part of me thinks it would be helpful, and part thinks it would be intrusive.  I think that it would be a good thing, in general though, and I wouldn't be opposed to it.  

I like the freedom I have, but I suppose if the school district would take into account where my kid is, and not force her/us backwards, then I'd be more than happy to have to help and resources.  Particularly being secular, there are no local homeshooling support groups I can attend without getting Jesus shoved in our faces, so help would be appreciated.

I belong to an online secular homeschool group, but they are more for me than my daughter.  I find a lot of advice and resources there, and also a feeling that I'm not an island unto myself out here in Jesusland, there are others like my family out there.

After thinking about it, let me phrase it this way (and I'm going to sound like a bit of a douche here, forgive me), but I think more help and oversight form the district would be good, here in Oregon.  I don't think I NEED it (though it would be helpful for those areas I'm like  Huh  in), but there are other homeschoolers in my area who do need that kind of oversight.  I think it would help prevent those nightmarish home school events, at the very least.
“Eternity is a terrible thought. I mean, where's it going to end?” 
― Tom StoppardRosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead

Messages In This Thread
Ask a (secular) home schooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:00 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:09 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:18 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 2:16 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:31 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by rexbeccarox - June 7, 2015 at 2:47 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 3:04 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Goosebump - June 7, 2015 at 2:23 am
RE: Ask a (secular) home schoooler - by Aroura - June 7, 2015 at 2:43 am