Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 3:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
This former Catholic will blast Pope OP/ED
RE: This former Catholic will blast Pope OP/ED
(June 10, 2015 at 9:13 am)Dystopia Wrote: The word race has little to do with separating us as a species, it's merely a form of categorizing humans not only due to physical appearance but historical background and culture... There is some biological foundation in race because some people are very likely/more to get certain diseases and there are noticeable physical differences that can only be explained by nature (like pigmentation, nose shape, etc.). If you don't think Jews are a race, then do you agree that everyone else (i.e. caucasians, africans, asians) are not a race? And why do you think a social construct is worth less just because it's a social construct?

Still not my point. You and I understand that DNA can show migration patterns and stats on traits and disease, but that isn't the core of why laypeople speak in those terms. Race is a divisive word stemming from our species tribalism and group survival. The more humans that understand this, the better we can see that we really are stuck on details rather than seeing our common evolution.

Because social constructs change over time, and lack an evolutionary understanding of why our species behaves the way we do.  It is our species ignorance that long term none of us are more important than the other and just like other life in the past, our species will eventually go extinct. 

Nowhere did I say humans are worthless, don't make assumptions about my posts. I am saying in cosmic terms long term none of this matters. Once you accept that, what does become important is the time we have now, not the differences that we group around. 

Jews were not the first humans, Native Americans migrated from the other continents, go back far enough our species started out in Africa. Go even further back we are related to other primates. What matters, our should matter isn't clinging to the past, although remembering human history is important so that we can improve, what matters is how we as a species move forward.

Humans have always migrated and mixed. There is nothing stopping a white person from having sex and making a baby with a black person. There is nothing stopping an Indian from migrating to America and Marrying a Jew(outside maybe family pressures, but certainly not biologically if both are healthy. I was myself married to a Japanese women, although we didn't have a kid, we could have. 

No human by proxy of label has any special powers or super powers. When humans talk of race and nationalism, religion and culture, they are merely reflecting their own social norms, they are not special however to evolution, evolution has not produced humans that live forever. The dinosaurs had a long time on this planet but they went extinct and humans will as well at some point.

Messages In This Thread
This former Catholic will blast Pope OP/ED - by Brian37 - June 9, 2015 at 12:39 pm
RE: This former Catholic will blast Pope OP/ED - by Brian37 - June 10, 2015 at 1:09 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Good exists - a Catholic comments Barry 619 39052 October 30, 2023 at 2:40 pm
Last Post: Bucky Ball
Tongue Scrupulosity - a Catholic disorder ? Bucky Ball 2 382 July 27, 2023 at 5:45 pm
Last Post: emjay
  [Serious] For former Christians only, why did you leave your faith? Jehanne 159 14503 January 16, 2023 at 7:36 am
Last Post: h4ym4n
  Pope Francis apologises for Canada residential school harms zebo-the-fat 10 1349 April 5, 2022 at 6:57 pm
Last Post: Ferrocyanide
  Catholic Church against Cesarean section Fake Messiah 24 4135 August 14, 2021 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  [Not] Breaking news; Catholic church still hateful Nay_Sayer 18 1669 March 17, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic churches profit under COVID PPP brewer 19 1424 February 23, 2021 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Catholic Bishops statement on Biden. brewer 9 844 January 25, 2021 at 3:46 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  Catholic priests jailed for abusing deaf children zebo-the-fat 14 2628 November 26, 2019 at 8:12 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2266 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU