Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 3, 2024, 3:06 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps
(June 14, 2015 at 9:52 am)Randy Carson Wrote: The problem I have with your paragraph above is that it seems to rely on the inverse of the "God-of-the-Gaps (GotG); namely, the "science-of-the-gaps" (SotG). By this, I mean that in the past, people witnessed lightning, could not explain it, and attributed it to God (GotG). However, the assumption of many is that while we cannot explain everything YET, eventually, given enough time and resources, we will be able to explain most (if not all) of the material universe. This SotG position is that we'll get there; there MUST be a rational, scientific explanation for something that we do not understand today.

Well, that makes sense, doesn't it? Because science is concerned EXCLUSIVELY with material universe. But can science even begin to speak of the immaterial? God is pure spirit. He occupies no space. He is simple (meaning He has no parts). He is timeless (being outside of time). I'm not convinced that science can have anything at all to say about something that is outside the material universe.
I think that "science of the gaps" seems more reliable because of the track record of science for explaining things, and we see this reflected in our daily lives over and over.  Our ability to understand how things work allows us to develop technologies that can improve life.  Even the most primitive cultures that exist today use some form of tools and strategies that rely on understanding their environment and how certain things work.  Belief in god requires the acceptance of something far greater and far more important to me than technology, yet you admit that god exists outside of our ability to detect him.  I would go further and say that the history of religious belief among humans indicates that god also exists outside of our ability to know and understand him.
Randy Carson Wrote:I agree that there is a natural explanation for lightning and other phenomena of this type. I agree that epileptic seizures exist and that demonic possession is not the cause of ALL events of that type. However, would you agree that if a God outside of space and time chose to part the Red Sea by means of a strong wind that just happened to blow the water in such manner as to enable the Israelites to cross at precisely the moment they needed to, He could do so? Or that God could choose to use the processes of evolution to create man over the course of millions of years rather than doing so instantaneously?
If god's qualities include the ability to suspend or defy physics, then sure, he could part the sea with a stiff wind that somehow doesn't blast the humans passing through the dry portion into dust particles.  Or he can make the sun appear to stand still in the sky without wiping out all life on the planet when it suddenly stops rotating.  Or choose to have life evolve and not have anyone know about it until we discovered it on our own.  But that may be the biggest gap of all: what if god's primary attribute is that we can't rule out any of his attributes?  I can apply that to lots of gods, but that doesn't get me any closer to one that might actually be real.
Randy Carson Wrote:What you have not considered or are simply unwilling to concede is the very real possibility that God HAS figured it all out and this IS the best approach.
But that means that the best possible approach would lead to massive numbers of people falling short of salvation.  That doesn't appear to be what the god of the Bible wants.  He wants everyone to be saved, but the best he can do is to save only a small number.  He admits as much, warning that the path to salvation was long and narrow and only few would ever find it.  Is it that this is the best he can do?  Maybe he doesn't want everyone to be saved?  A perfect god would implement a perfect solution, IMO.
Randy Carson Wrote:In other words, the evidence is there for those who have eyes to see, and it is sufficient for rational belief that God exists.
I think that if this was the case, then everyone really would be following the one true god, from the very start.  The story of the Bible is one where god fails to impress at every turn.  The first two humans that he creates --and who get to know him directly and personally-- are easily turned from him by another of his own creation.  Some Christian denominations believe that as many as a third of the angels in heaven are fallen, and have followed Satan on a path of ruin and oblivion.  How unimpressive must god be, that fully one third of his closest creation preferred misery and death to heavenly glory?  When he sends Moses to perform miracles to influence the Pharaoh, at first the Pharaoh's sorcerers are god's equal, forcing him to turn up the heat in order to show that he's the most powerful.  Even when he takes on a human form and performs miracles to a people who are awaiting a savior, they mock him and bully the Roman authorities into torturing and killing him.

Perhaps there is no way that god could convince more than a relative few that he is who he claims to be, and this really is his best attempt.  But that would be a very different god than the one Christians worship.  I think we should expect more from a being who is the unparalleled intellect in all of reality and a designer without equal.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Cato - June 13, 2015 at 7:36 pm
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by comet - June 14, 2015 at 11:03 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Tonus - June 14, 2015 at 12:51 pm
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by abaris - June 19, 2015 at 11:42 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Nope - June 13, 2015 at 10:24 pm
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Exian - June 14, 2015 at 12:15 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Exian - June 14, 2015 at 12:20 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by JuliaL - June 14, 2015 at 12:23 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Aroura - June 14, 2015 at 12:55 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by abaris - June 14, 2015 at 10:45 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by abaris - June 14, 2015 at 12:12 pm
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Chad32 - June 14, 2015 at 10:23 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Chad32 - June 14, 2015 at 11:48 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Chad32 - June 14, 2015 at 10:29 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Chad32 - June 14, 2015 at 10:32 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Exian - June 14, 2015 at 10:46 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Exian - June 14, 2015 at 10:58 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Cato - June 14, 2015 at 11:18 am
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by abaris - June 14, 2015 at 12:44 pm
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Chad32 - June 14, 2015 at 12:48 pm
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Cato - June 15, 2015 at 3:24 pm
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Cato - June 16, 2015 at 9:13 pm
RE: Atheism, Evidence and the God-of-the-Gaps - by Tonus - June 17, 2015 at 12:55 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Can someone show me the evidence of the bullshit bible articles? I believe in Harry Potter 36 4853 November 3, 2019 at 7:33 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If evidence for god is in abundance, why is faith necessary? Foxaèr 181 38958 November 11, 2017 at 10:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  Atheists don't realize asking for evidence of God is a strawman ErGingerbreadMandude 240 29151 November 10, 2017 at 3:11 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
Question Why do you people say there is no evidence,when you can't be bothered to look for it? Jaguar 74 20478 November 5, 2017 at 7:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Personal evidence Foxaèr 19 6132 November 4, 2017 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: c152
  Is Accepting Christian Evidence Special Pleading? SteveII 768 245438 September 28, 2017 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Kernel Sohcahtoa
  Do Extraordinary Claims Require Extraordinary Evidence? SteveII 643 137472 August 12, 2017 at 1:36 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Evidence: The Gathering Randy Carson 530 92391 September 25, 2015 at 5:14 pm
Last Post: abaris
  With Science and Archaeology and Miracle's evidence for God TheThinkingCatholic 35 11380 September 20, 2015 at 11:32 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
Exclamation Us Athiests v. Sid Roth: Where Is The Evidence, Sid! A Lucid Dreaming Atheist 4 2938 August 3, 2015 at 5:56 pm
Last Post: dyresand