Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 8, 2024, 6:19 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Atheism; the next step
RE: Atheism; the next step
(October 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: It seems to me that people often spout off about how this system or that system is not working and give a nod to the fact that something else needs to happen. This is easy to say but doesn't lead anywhere.

That's exactly what i'm saying, and what I have said for years! One of the reasons I gave up with libertarianist activism and even trade unions was because all I saw was a lot of talking and a deep seated desire to do nothing to back it up (there are expections, but they're few and far between); like you have a conversation with your friends in a bar one night about how fucked up the world is, but then you wake up the next morning and do nothing to remedy it.

(October 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: It seems to me that you see no value in the current system at all which is flawed thinking. There is a lot of value in the current system as well as religion. Think about it, religion has ultimately been humans thinking about humans and using God as the ultimate appeal to authority to lend credence to their ideas, either through true belief or for manipulative ends. Why throw all that work away just because we don't believe in God? It is also exceedingly difficult to derail a system completely and start anew. It would be much more productive to look at what is already good about society and build from there.

Rhizo

Hahaha you're damn right I see no value in the current system, it's a system of slavery designed that those at the top can have priviledges while it holds those at the bottom in a state of poverty- there has to be a huge number of people at the bottom propping up one person at the top, it's not fair or enjoyable and it breeds discontentment and wastes everyones lives in meaningless labour. You can say you've got the working class propping up the ruling class, or that you've got the people of third world nations propping up the people of first world countries. You can say what you like about reforming this system, but charities and social activism acheive nothing because the problems are caused by the people at the top impacting those underneath them; the inherant problem with the system itself.

(October 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm)Rhizomorph13 Wrote: Think about it, religion has ultimately been humans thinking about humans and using God as the ultimate appeal to authority to lend credence to their ideas, either through true belief or for manipulative ends. Why throw all that work away just because we don't believe in God?

Throw away manipulation that's deisgned to exploit? Certianly.

When Moses took the 42 commandments from the egyptians and removed the ones that encouraged social harmony, justice and liberty until he just had 10 commandments- and then that through the Roman Empire after its brutaly enforced conversion to christianity that we've built our world on these flawed commandments- doesn't it tell you that our world is deeply flawed? Look at the history, as soon as christianity spread, the world fell from the prosperity and wisdom of the ancient world into the dark ages, then the ignorance and plauges of medieval ages and then finally onto industrialisation and mass slavery and genocide.

Quote:Cerrone you sound exactly like some annoying eurosceptics that want to terminate the EU because they see it as not as successful as they want it to be, like you they must realized the system is built slowly trough the age of humanity and not perfect on the first try

It's not the first try though Ashendant, humanity was on the right path until christian intervention.

Quote:What is it that you propose people do? Also, are you doing that thing? If not, why don't you lead by example? Berating people into doing "something" isn't effective. Personally, I'm unmoved. I think I will sit here doing "nothing."

I propose people evaluate the actions of their behaviour, become aware of the long term negative consequences that is caused by getting short term gains and modify their behaviour and actions so that they aren't causing bad things to happen around them. And to become aware of where they are historically in the big picture of humanity, and just how their lives could be so much better if they put some effort into it.

And yeah that's what I do, and it works great for me- i'm just not impressed with the majority of humanity, that's my only discontentment.
[Image: cassandrasaid.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 12, 2010 at 12:23 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Paul the Human - October 12, 2010 at 12:44 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Rhizomorph13 - October 12, 2010 at 1:02 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 12, 2010 at 2:22 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Anomalocaris - October 12, 2010 at 1:13 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Rhizomorph13 - October 12, 2010 at 5:49 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 13, 2010 at 5:56 am
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Shell B - October 13, 2010 at 8:47 am
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 13, 2010 at 10:44 am
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Shell B - October 13, 2010 at 3:35 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 13, 2010 at 4:34 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Shell B - October 13, 2010 at 4:47 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 13, 2010 at 5:26 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Shell B - October 13, 2010 at 6:18 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 14, 2010 at 4:55 am
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Ashendant - October 12, 2010 at 6:50 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Shell B - October 12, 2010 at 7:32 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by solja247 - October 13, 2010 at 8:27 am
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Rhizomorph13 - October 14, 2010 at 2:21 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 14, 2010 at 3:35 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Shell B - October 14, 2010 at 3:58 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Cerrone - October 14, 2010 at 4:24 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Shell B - October 14, 2010 at 4:43 pm
RE: Atheism; the next step - by Rhizomorph13 - October 17, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, lunwarris 49 4125 January 7, 2023 at 11:42 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, barji 9 1463 July 10, 2020 at 10:42 pm
Last Post: Peebothuhlu
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, asthev 14 2166 March 17, 2019 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: chimp3
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, auuka 21 3265 October 7, 2018 at 2:12 pm
Last Post: Reltzik
  "How do I know God exists?" - the first step to atheism Mystic 51 30522 April 23, 2018 at 8:44 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, brukanzuu 14 2931 March 2, 2018 at 12:26 pm
Last Post: sdelsolray
  Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, baah 59 10429 October 27, 2017 at 3:24 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27799 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, cali0 38 7075 November 13, 2016 at 4:51 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Exclamation Here is Practical Explanation about Next Life, Purpose of Human Life, reta 152 14365 August 23, 2016 at 6:11 am
Last Post: InsaneDane