Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 1:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Religion and insanity
Religion and insanity
So, I'll try to do this, even though I'm not sure exactly where I'm going with this post.

I talked to my boyfriend and he wanted to see what the people here think of his story. I've talked about him a lot, I know, but this was something that has really had a big impact on him on a psychological level.

To start with, I need to give you a little background on him. His parents are divorced. That's actually pretty common nowadays, but what makes it unusual is that the Mormon church, the church he was raised with, they're perfectly ok with the divorce. Usually, the Mormons look at divorce about the same way Catholics do and divorced members are pretty much shunned. However, in this case, they were perfectly understanding. You see, his biological father has paranoid schizophrenia. I guess it wasn't too bad at first, but as time went by he got more and more violent and unstable and just plain crazy. Things finally came to a head when he got arrested for posting some really crazy shit online. You can read about part of it in this article on him:

http://www.religionnewsblog.com/2483/uta...b-hinckley

While the church excommunicated him for threatening their leadership, the government was more worred about other stuff. Lee tells me he had other violent tendancies. He had built up a small arsenal of weapons and he had written a bit of a manifesto explaining how he was going t blow up the state of Missouri and drive to Canada on a bulldozer. There's also the neglect of his family; he made his wife stay home, barefoot and pregnant most the time, but he wouldn't work either. They were in pretty extreme poverty and if not for the generocity of the LDS church, they probably would have had to move into a homeless shelter or something along those lines. It got even worse after the divorce was legal; he claimed that his youngest son wasn't biologically his and was the love child of an affair between his wife and an alien. Then he claimed that the government killed his whole family and because of that he doesn't have to pay child support.

Well, he went to jail but when he went to trail, things got complicated. They couldn't try him because he wasn't mentally competent to stand trial unless he was medicated. The last he had heard, the lawyers wanted to force him to take the medication, but weren't making much progress.

So, imagine growing up in that environment, ok? In fact, for Lee it was even worse, because he had all that garbage on top of the fact that he's trans and dealing with a lot of the same angsty feelings a lot of us have at young age. It's hurt him a lot and I feel like I'm doing all I can just to let him know that there are good people out in the world who will unconditionally love him, and assure him that he won't be anything like his bio did (we call him FF).

Well, a few days ago, we found him. Lee's brother found him on facebook and it also looks like he's running some kind of Mormon group on google. Yep, he's still as crazy as ever, still determined that the LDS church is delusional and evil and that they're the pawns of Satan. And, yep, sure enough, he's claiming he's the real profit of God. Fortunately, Lee has reached a point in his life where he can look at this stuff and not really feel a connection to him anymore. Still, I can't help but think, how much of this pain and suffering that he and his family endured, how much would have been avoided if not for some of these religious beliefs?

EDIT-No, it doesn't look like he was running the group, but he made a post on it that indicates he's still a crazy as ever:

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgro...y87et29ZPw
I live on facebook. Come see me there. http://www.facebook.com/tara.rizzatto

"If you cling to something as the absolute truth and you are caught in it, when the truth comes in person to knock on your door you will refuse to let it in." ~ Siddhartha Gautama

Messages In This Thread
Religion and insanity - by TaraJo - January 27, 2013 at 6:22 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by catfish - January 28, 2013 at 2:22 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Esquilax - January 28, 2013 at 3:54 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Dee Dee Ramone - January 28, 2013 at 4:09 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Confused Ape - January 28, 2013 at 4:56 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Mystical - January 29, 2013 at 6:17 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by Confused Ape - January 29, 2013 at 7:31 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by TaraJo - January 29, 2013 at 11:21 am
RE: Religion and insanity - by festive1 - January 29, 2013 at 12:09 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by Mystical - January 29, 2013 at 5:27 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by Confused Ape - January 29, 2013 at 6:26 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by Zone - January 30, 2013 at 3:37 pm
RE: Religion and insanity - by Confused Ape - January 30, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  At what point does faith become insanity? Fake Messiah 64 3876 May 8, 2023 at 10:37 pm
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  Religion hurts homosexuality but homosexuality kills religion? RozKek 43 10745 March 30, 2016 at 2:46 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Terrorism has no religion but religion brings terrorism. Islam is NOT peaceful. bussta33 13 4911 January 16, 2016 at 8:25 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Religion's affect outside of religion Heat 67 19833 September 28, 2015 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Are all forms of religious faith indicative of insanity? (My counter example.) Whateverist 25 3918 May 10, 2015 at 8:32 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Rainbow Gay rights within the template of religion proves flaws in "religion" CristW 288 49348 November 21, 2014 at 4:09 pm
Last Post: DramaQueen
  Do religions promote insanity? RichardP 25 9050 December 12, 2012 at 9:19 pm
Last Post: RichardP
  Religion Vs Religion. Bull Poopie 14 5190 September 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm
Last Post: Oldandeasilyconfused